Stephen, List,
I think, reason is not man-made, and glory is not based on reason. Maybe this is what Peirce wanted to say, or maybe he just was feeling depressed and misanthropic when he wrote it, that is my two best guesses. Best, Helmut

02. März 2018 um 20:29 Uhr
Von: "Stephen C. Rose" <stever...@gmail.com>

We employ twelve good men and true to decide a question, we lay the facts before them with the greatest care, the "perfection of human reason" presides over the presentment, they hear, they go out and deliberate, they come to a unanimous opinion, and it is generally admitted that the parties to the suit might almost as well have tossed up a penny to decide! Such is man's glory!

Peirce: CP 1.627 Cross-Ref:††

----------------------------- PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .