BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px; }
 Jon, list,

        1] My problem with your terms is that you use 'sign' to refer only
to the mediate node in the semiosic triad; the Representamen. Where
and how does the triad enter into your understanding of semiosis?

        2. I understand the term of 'symbol' to refer to the Relation
between the Representamen and the Dynamic Object, such that this
Relation sets up a triadic semiosic process of conceptualization:
i.e., "In respect to their relations to their dynamic objects, I
divide signs into Icons, Indices and Symbols" 8.335. .

        ..."I define a Symbol as a sign which is determined by its dynamic
objects only in the sense that it will be so interpreted. It thus
depends either upon a convention, a habit, or a natural disposition
of its interpretant or of the field of its interpretant  8.335...

        and thus - the Relation between the Representamen and the DO is in a
mode of Thirdness and the Representamen in such an interaction
functions within Thirdness - as a Legisign. That is - I see the
Symbol as a Relational function of the triad, not as an integral
component of the 'Sign/representamen'.

        3. I don't read the Interpretant section the same way as you do.
There are three Interpretants: Immediate, Dynamic and Final. IF, in
the terms you use, the  Sign is that mediate node in the O-R-I
semiosic triad, then - none of the three Interpretants can be that
mediate process.

        Peirce says" that I have already noted that a Sign has an Object and
an Interpretant, the latter being that which the Sign produces in the
Quasi-mind that is the Interpreter by determining the latter to a
feeling, to an exertion, or to a Sign, which determination is the
Interpretant" (CP 4.536; 1906).

        I read the above that the Quasi-mind is the INTERPRETER. Not the
Interpretant. And the semiosic process that is ongoing via the
interaction between the Dynamic Object-Immediate
Object-Representamen...is producing in 'the
Quasi-mind/Interpreter....a feeling. Or an action/exertion. Or -
Thirdness/a concept...all of which can be expressed as 'the
Interpretant'.

        4. And I read this differently from you: " For any set of Signs
which are so connected that a complex of two of them can have one
interpretant, must be Determinations of one Sign which is a
Quasi-mind" (CP 4.550; 1906).

        I read it as a network of triads - where at least two of them have
one Interpretant - i.e., their 'actual effects are in effective
interconnection' 4.550ff -

        The result of the semiosic process among a number of
Agents/Interpreters.... , the Dynamic Interpretant - are connected.
This relates to [a] a shared mediate Representamen such that the
Interpretants are all 'determinations of a common Representamen -
and a shared Mind, i.e., a Quasi-mind among all networked
agents/Interpreters in this semiosic interconnection.

        Edwina
 On Fri 02/03/18  3:04 PM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 1.  Please read more carefully--I stated that all concepts are
Symbols, not that all Signs are Symbols.  Obviously Icons and Indices
are also Signs.
 2.  Peirce explicitly distinguished three kinds of Interpretants,
only one of which is a Sign.  "I have already noted that a Sign has
an Object and an Interpretant, the latter being that which the Sign
produces in the Quasi-mind that is the Interpreter by determining the
latter to a feeling, to an exertion, or to a Sign, which determination
is the Interpretant" (CP 4.536; 1906).
 3.  Peirce explicitly defined a Quasi-mind as a Sign that is a
complex of Signs.  "For any set of Signs which are so connected that
a complex of two of them can have one interpretant, must be
Determinations of one Sign which is a Quasi-mind" (CP 4.550; 1906).
 Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA Professional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]