>"As for myself, I have never agreed with anyone else's paraphrase of my
>opinions.  I always ask people to quote my exact words and not attribute their
>interpretations to me.  I would give Peirce the same benefit of the doubt."

Excellent. As it should be.

I cannot comment on the truth or otherwise of Eugene’s defamations of Peirce.
But one thing has to be made absolutely clear... this is the sort of thing that
extremists in America are resorting to now. They’re getting desperate. They
deliberately take things out of context, they lie and they fabricate. They
defame their opposition, and now it looks like they’re even defaming historical
figures.

If one is to take a defamer seriously, then they need to check the claims
made... don’t take them as given. What people with an agenda typically do...
they take things out of context, making unsubstantiated assertions, relying on
the assumption that they won’t be checked. If anyone is going to follow through
on this, then please do it properly. Did Peirce say mean things once? Maybe. So
have I. So have most of you. Did he change later? Maybe. So have I. So have
most of you. But someone with an agenda is unlikely to admit to inconvenient
truths... they'll omit inconvenient words, or sentences, or paragraphs, or
later reports, or updates. The safest assumption... it’s just what they do.

Regards