Jon, list,

Jon wrote:

JAS: There is nothing "magical" about the power of retroduction in Peirce's
philosophy.  It is a direct result of the *continuity *of all things
(synechism), which entails that there is no "correspondence gap" between
Reality and Mind, including human minds.  While Reality is indeed
independent of what you or I or any *discrete* collection of *individual *minds
may think about it, it is not independent of thought *in general*.  This is
precisely the basis for the regulative hope that the final opinion at the
end of *infinite *inquiry--the *ultimate *Interpretant of *every *Sign--
*would *perfectly conform to Reality, and thus constitute the perfect (or
absolute) Truth.  In the meantime, any or all of our beliefs may turn out
to be mistaken--that is the principle of fallibilism--but we have no good
reason to doubt any one of them in particular, unless and until we are
confronted by the "outward clash" of experience with an unpleasant surprise
that forces us to reconsider it.

I know that you like to bring Peircean concepts together in as complete yet
as succinct a way that you can while retaining the complexity of the
relations of the component ideas in your summary synthesis. In this
paragraph you've seemed to outdone yourself in bringing together in a most
cogent manner: *retroduction*, *continuity*, *synechism*, *(independent)*
*Reality*, *Mind*, *regulative hope*, *final opinion*, *infinite inquiry,
ultimate interpretant*, *perfect (absolute) Truth*, and *fallibilism*.

I have put this in my file of thoughts "to be inscribed on every wall of
the city of philosophy"--well, at least on the walls of Arisbe :-)
This is to simply to say that I view it as a very rich summary of certain
essential concepts of Peirce's Realism.

See, also, Susan Haack's *Transactions* paper, "Do not block the way of
inquiry" https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2612013 as
your brief comments immediately made me think of it, esp. the section of
its Abstract which capsule content I've put in boldface below.

Abstract

The first goal is to understand why Peirce describes his motto, "Do Not
Block the Way of Inquiry," as a corollary of the "first rule of reason,"
why he believes it deserves to be inscribed on every wall of the city of
philosophy, and what he has in mind when he characterizes the various
barricades philosophers set up, the many obstacles they put in the path of
inquiry. *This soon leads us to important, substantive themes in Peirce's
meta-philosophical, cosmological, metaphysical, logical, and
epistemological work* (§1). However, it also leads us to what might seem to
be a tension in his account of the motives for inquiry. So the second goal
is to track the source of this apparent tension, and to show how Peirce
resolved it (§2). But the ultimate goal is to explain why Peirce's warning
against blocking the way of inquiry is no less important, given the
condition of philosophy today, than it was when he offered it more than a
century ago-perhaps even more so (§3).

I don't know whether there is a *strong* connection here, but that the
"first rule of reason" and its corollary are important precepts in Peirce's
theory of inquiry within pragmaticism, occurring as they do in the third
branch of logic as semeiotic--preceding the possible application of what
has been discovered in semeiotic to considerations in the last of the
cenoscopic sciences, metaphysics--*that* may be what brought Haack's paper
to my mind.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*