Edwina, List:

It is a very common and well-established practice--certainly in the
secondary literature on Peirce, as well as in general--to employ [brackets]
when inserting clarifying content into a quotation, and (parentheses) when
the author used either parentheses or brackets in the original work.  For
example, see http://www.thepunctuationguide.com/brackets.html.

In my opinion, given his own unmistakably explicit statements about his
metaphysical and religious views, it is indefensible to argue that Peirce
was anything other than a committed theist, especially late in his life.
Where did the Universe as symbol, argument, work of art, poem, symphony,
and painting come from, if not "a metaphysical agency"?  As genuine Signs,
Symbols and Arguments require an Utterer; and works of art require an
artist, whether poet, composer, or painter.  What are the three Universes
as "Modalities of Being" (EP 2:478; 1908), if not metaphysical
manifestations of the three Categories?  One certainly need not be a
theist *oneself
*in order to interpret Peirce correctly, but--again, in my opinion--one
cannot claim to be interpreting Peirce correctly while insisting that *he *was
not a theist.  He did not leave that option open to us; here are just two
obvious examples.

CSP:  So, then, the question being whether I believe in the reality of God,
I answer, Yes. (CP 6.496; c. 1906)

CSP:  The word "God," so "capitalized" (as we Americans say), is *the
*definable
proper name, signifying *Ens necessarium*: in my belief Really creator of
all three Universes of Experience. (CP 6.452, EP 2:434; 1908)

Regards,

Jon S.