}Jon, list:

        1] Just a first quibble - you say that you wish to receive only
'constructive' criticism. But 'constructive' is a subjective term;
what you find constructive vs unwelcome - is strictly within your own
opinion. That's why I hesitate to get into long debates with you
because they degenerate into your defensive claims of your position.

        2] And - second quibble. You call the 'Six correlates' .. logical
Subjects. I call them  'Six nodal sites' and Six Relations'.  So?
Could we possibly mean the same thing in pragmatic terms? The reason
I prefer the terms in my explanation of the semiosic process is that
the noun of Subject in modern terms gives it more individual agential
power than I think the actual complex semiosic process provides for
it. And the use of Relation [which Peirce also uses] - emphasizes the
interactional nature of semiosis.

        3] I disagree with you about the use of 'universe' vs 'categorical
mode' and I'll  continue with the 6 categorical modes. And I think
that the semiosic process can't be broken down into dyads. [I'm aware
of Peirce's statements both rejecting and considering dyads].  I don't
consider the ten classes as 'ten trichotomies' but as class examples
of basic semiosic triadic processes. ,, and the triad is different
from your triad of Od-S-If. It's DO-R-DI.

        4] I certainly acknowledge your attempting to model a SINGLE
instance of a semiosic interaction - as long as we also acknowledge
that no such thing could possibly exist, because that single instance
only functions within a complex adaptive system.

        I would say that I am more interested in the operation of the
semiosic process as complex; I'm interested in how, for example, a
plant can gather information about its changing environment and
develop new habits of its formation, such that the next generation of
that same plant  is adaptive and evolving. To me, the Peircean
semiosis - as a complex system - provides those answers. BUT - not as
modeled within a single instance.

        Edwina
 On Sat 24/03/18 10:53 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt jonalanschm...@gmail.com
sent:
 Edwina, List:
 I appreciate the distinction that you make between our different
projects, but I think that you are overestimating the ambition of
mine.  I am well aware of the difference between complicated and
complex, as well as the difference between complex and
complex-adaptive.  I fully recognize the complex-adaptive nature of
concrete semiosis and have no desire to overlook or minimize it.
 The goal of my current inquiry--which is still very much a work in
progress--is simply to gain a better understanding of what you call
"the basic model"; i.e., what the six Correlates  are, and how they
relate to one another in a single instance of semiosis.  I can no
more hope to capture the entire process with this admittedly
"analytic and abstract" approach than that my mathematical models of
actual buildings will reflect their precise structural behavior.  In
both cases, I have no expectation of achieving complete knowledge;
but I will likely know more than I did before, which is always the
objective of any kind of reasoning (cf. CP 5.365; 1877).
 On my reading of Peirce, the six Correlates are not "nodal sites,"
they are logical Subjects.  In addition, there are three dyadic
Relations between Correlates (Od-S, S-Id, S-If), as well as the
governing triadic Relation (Od-S-If).  Each of these Correlates and
Relations is  divided into three Universes--Possible, Existent,
Necessitant--not six "Categorical Modes."  These are the ten
trichotomies (CP 8.344-374, EP 2:482-490; 1908)  that serve as the
basis for identifying 66 classes of Signs, once they are arranged
into the proper "order of determination"  (EP 2:481; 1908)--a task
that Peirce himself never completed, which is probably why I find it
so fascinating to explore.
 What are the practical implications of all this?  I have no idea;
and since, as Gary R. noted, this is (so far) a strictly  theoretical
inquiry, it really does not matter.  I may come up with some along the
way, or I may end up just leaving that question as something for
others to answer.  I am genuinely eager for constructive feedback
from anyone who cares to offer it, but merely asserting that I am
wasting my time is not going to deter me from pressing forward.
 Regards,
 Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]