Gary, list

I find the certainty with which positions are taken here, and asserted, rather
disconcerting. I am not an expert on Peirce at all, so I cannot comment on the
verity of what he had said or intended.

My own position on the nature of God? I keep out of that conversation. I can no
more know God than I can know the “true” nature of empty space. It does not
interest me to conjecture about gods, for my mind-body is not equipped to
apprehend such an entity… any more than a neuron is equipped to understand me.

Here is a poem that I wrote around 2005. People can read into this pretty much
whatever they want. Is God implied? Merely a metaphor? Or is he real? Maybe a
personal god who affects us directly? Take your pick… though I should add that
I find the idea of a personal god especially troublesome, nay self-indulgent,
as per my views on human exceptionalism… in a universe comprised of trillions
of billions of planets (by current conservative guesstimates), as if each and
every one of us could be so important.

        I AM CULTURE

        Sociologists studied the behaviors of crowds, and never saw my essence.
        Psychologists analyzed the behaviors of individuals, and never saw my
form.
        Others - also with their own personal problems and private lives - have
categorized, labeled and pigeonholed me.
        They call me “Culture”.

        But you don’t know me.
        Indeed, very few people can even guess how I might affect their lives.
        Yet I am responsible for the way that you and all your brothers and
sisters live and interact.
        I am responsible for the successes and failures of each and every one
of your kind.
        I am more powerful than you could ever have imagined.
        Yet whole lives can be lived without ever knowing - or caring - that I
exist.

        Everyone sees and responds to the consequences of my power.
        Each and every thought, each and every action is a direct result of
interactions with my power.
        Even if one of your kind knew me - even if he could know my power and
would choose to rebel against it, he would be powerless.
        For he is but one against..... the world?
        And I would cast him out. For I AM his world. And he knows no other.

        For I have taught him how to interpret all he experiences.
        And how to respond to all he experiences.
        I have taught his parents and their parents before them.
        For I am the source of his knowledge of Being.
        I am his reality.

        I reside within him and he, within me.
        My form - his reality - is duplicated in his mind.
        In isolation, he is like a piece removed from a hologram - for he
contains most of the information required to duplicate my form.
        Should he turn against me, he would only be turning against himself.
        For I am all he knows.
        This would be his demise.
        For me, his demise is without consequence.
        For my form lives on, in the minds of each and every one of you.
        And I will continue to be, long after you have been survived by your
children.
        And I would banish him to beyond the fringes of the all the world’s
mythos’.
        I would leave him to wander in a penumbral limbo - left to stumble in
the quagmire of his own insanity.

        And for me, nothing changes.

        I am history.
        I am the present.
        I am the words in your language.
        I am the collective consciousness of all of you.
        I change only when you all change, together.
        I am you, the self is the other.
        I am your reality.

        You think you are superior to nature’s beasts, yet you are governed by
the same laws.
        For all life, all logics of every organism that has ever been are
governed by the laws of habit, association, choice and desire.
        You think that you are so independent,
        Yet everything you know, you’ve imitated from me.
        Can you really believe yourself to be beyond beast?
        You, the beast with human body,
        You, the beast with tongue with which to speak and hands with which to
work, I give of myself that you might be.
        For without me you can only ever revert to the beast whence you came,
        The beast you deny, the beast that lurks in the shadows of your
subconscious mind.

        You, the beast of human form.
        You perceive the illusion of the power that you have over your own life.
        With obligations to no-one but those you know.
        Trapped by the illusion of your ego.

        You perceive the illusion because you can choose that which you desire.
        But it is I that shapes your desires.
        It is I and I alone, that delivers the options from which you must
choose.
        For in reality, your own life - everything you have been and will
become - is intertwined with the lives of others.
        A complex web of action, interaction and reaction.
        Culture.

        The person who understands me understands himself.
        He who understands me knows heaven and hell and everything between.
        He who truly understands me knows thought and the sculptor of life.

        And he knows to be humble.

        For each of you is but a neuron in the mind of One that is far greater.
And me, I am but one of His thoughts in time.