Jeff, some responses inserted .

Gary f.

From: Jeffrey Brian Downard <jeffrey.down...@nau.edu>
Sent: 15-May-18 12:54
To: g...@gnusystems.ca
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Lowell Lecture 5

Hi Gary F, List,

Thanks for your initial hints about Lecture 5. Up to this point in my
reading and re-reading of the Lowell Lectures, I've had a feeling that some
parts of the lectures read something more like "ideas on detached topics"
and less like a clear path of inquiry. In particular, it was difficult for
me to see the connections between the discussion of self control in lecture
1, the discussion of the first two parts of the existential graphs, alpha
and beta, and then an interlude on phenomenology and semiotics before
turning to the gamma graphs--only to turn to a discussion of the mathematics
of multitudes. To be honest, I found it rather bewildering.

[gf: I think that for Peirce, these subjects are all so intertwined in his
system that he finds it difficult to talk about any one of them without at
least mentioning the others. That doesn't bother me as a reader, but then I
think readers have the same problem with my book that you have with these
lectures, so maybe I think like Peirce in that respect. (Though very
differently in other respects!) I quoted Wittgenstein in my book saying that
"the very nature of the investigation . compels us to travel over a wide
field of thought criss-cross in every direction." Maybe that applies to
Peirce too.]

The table of contents that you've provided at the start of your
transcription of lecture 1 is helping me see the forest for the trees.  The
lectures are organized in the following way:

1. What Makes a Reasoning Sound?

2. Existential Graphs, Alpha and Beta

3. General Explanations, Phenomenology and Speculative Grammar

4. Existential graphs, Gamma Part

5. Multitude

6. Chance

7. Induction

8. Abduction

[Gf: That list is actually from one of the pages of MS 470, i.e. Lecture 5,
which suggests that it was only halfway through the drafting process that
Peirce decided on this ordering of his material.]

The topics of the last two chapters helps to clarify the purpose of starting
with the question about what makes a reasoning sound at the beginning. His
main aim, I am supposing, is to use the EG to put ourselves in a position to
better understand what makes inductive and abductive reasoning sound.

[gf: That could be, but I haven't read 7 or 8 yet. We'll see. But the same
should apply to multitude, which is one way of using the logic of
mathematics to develop the related concepts of infinity, continuity, and
generality. It all comes down to the nature of argument as the "complete
sign" par excellence.]

If I take chapter 1 and chapters 7 and 8 as bookends, it helps me get a
better grasp of what Peirce hopes to accomplish in lectures 2-6. If the goal
is to explain--better than before--what makes inductive and abductive
reasoning sound, then we can see some strands of thought that are being
wound together into a cable that represents a fairly clear path of
development. That is, Peirce is offering a relatively simple and abbreviated
explanation of the alpha system of diagrammatic logic, and how the beta
system is a development of the ideas in the alpha system--and he is
explaining in the third chapter how the formulation of those formal systems
is informed and guided by the observations being analyzed in the
phenomenology and the logical problems and questions that he is trying to
address in the semiotics.

The general strategy is--as with any area of science--to make the theory of
semiotics more rigorous by making is more mathematical. In this case, he is
developing and drawing on systems of formal logic that are primarily
topological and diagrammatic in character and not those that are algebraic
and symbolic.

[gf: I think I see what you mean about making it more rigorous, but I'm sure
Peirce would not want to sacrifice experiential factuality for the sake of
rigor. Logic/semiotic has to be a positive science, in other words.]

If we look at what he is doing in lectures 2-6 from the vantage point of a
larger historical perspective, we can see that the attempts to develop and
employ topological systems of formal logic represents a rather important
development in the history of modern philosophy. Let us recall that one of
Boole's main aims in his formal logic was to draw on algebraic approaches
for the sake of analyzing reasoning involving probabilities. This was a
particularly pressing task because mathematical reasoning about
probabilities and the application of those ideas in statistics were giving
rise to a number of philosophical problems and questions that required
better logical tools.

Having participated in the development of these systems of logic, Peirce
could see that the algebraic systems of logic of Boole, DeMorgan, Schroder,
etc. were subject to a number of limitations--especially when it comes to
analyzing the more basic mathematical conceptions involved in reasoning
about probabilities and the application of those ideas in statistics. As
such, we can understand Peirce's larger strategy in lectures 2-6 as an
attempt to improve on what Boole sought to accomplish--but using logical
tools that are better suited for the job at hand, which is to analyze the
conceptions, propositions and arguments more minutely and with greater
rigor.

The central conception Peirce is focusing on in lecture 5 is that of a
multitude, and he is attempting to understand how that mathematical
conception works within the context of different systems of numbers (e.g.,
the counting numbers, the integers, the rationals, etc.). He is focusing on
this conception because he sees that logical confusions were arising in the
work of the mathematicians in the theory of probability--and a number of
these confusions could be traced based to longstanding issues in number
theory. Assuming that this overview of the argumentative strategy is on
track, then I am keen to better understand how the arguments in lecture 5
might be reconstructed, and especially how the gamma graphs are being used
as tools in those inquiries. In particular, I'd like to gain more clarity
about how Peirce is using the newly coined terms "sam" and "gath" to
distinguish, as Gary F says, between the essential and the existential
aspects of collections in the context of his analysis of mathematical
collections and multitudes.

With that much said, let me pose a question for the sake of trying to start
a discussion of lecture 5:  how does the use of the terms "sam" and "gath"
in his analyses and arguments help us better understand the character of
really important forms of mathematical inference, such as the Syllogism of
Transposed Quantity and the Fermatian form of inference?

[gf: I don't have a good answer to that, but I notice that early on in the
lecture, Peirce says that "the doctrine of multitude is nothing but a
special application of the doctrine of ordinal numbers. But the special
objects of its series have a special character which permits them to be
studied from a special point of view; and that point of view is a logical
point of view. It is not the pure mathematical forms that we study in the
doctrine of multitude. It is on the contrary a branch of logic which, like
all logic, is directly dependent upon mathematics." Now, to me, the sam/gath
distinction is a phenomenological one, and that brings the "doctrine of
multitude" out of the realm of pure mathematics and into the realm of
positive science, specifically logic. But that's all I'm prepared to say at
the moment.]

--Jeff

http://gnusystems.ca/Lowell5.htm }{ Peirce's Lowell Lectures of 1903