Edwina, List:

ET:  See also "To say that there was no action is to say there was no
actuality"...before which all was absolutely motionless and dead 1.275.

Once again, it is important to examine a larger excerpt in order to
understand the full context of these comments by Peirce.

CSP:  There are two distinct questions to be answered concerning time, even
when we have accepted the doctrine that it is strictly continuous. The
first is, whether or not it has any exceptional instants in which it is
discontinuous,--any abrupt beginning and end. Philosophers there have been
who have said that such a thing is inconceivable; but it is perfectly
conceivable to a mind which takes up intelligently and seriously the task
of forming the conception ... There is no difficulty in imagining that at a
certain moment, velocity was suddenly imparted to every atom and corpuscle
of the universe; before which all was absolutely motionless and dead. To
say that there was no motion nor acceleration is to say there was no time.
To say there was no action is to say there was no actuality. However
contrary to the evidence, then, such a hypothesis may be, it is perfectly
conceivable. (CP 1.275; 1902)

He was not describing *his own* position in what you quoted and
paraphrased; he was merely affirming that a discontinuity in
time--specifically, an "abrupt beginning"--is "perfectly conceivable," even
though it is "contrary to the evidence."  Furthermore, "motionless and
dead" does not mean "nothing" or non-existent; on the contrary, in this
account the beginning of time does not correspond to the moment when "every
atom and corpuscle of the universe" came into being, but rather the moment
when "velocity was suddenly imparted to" them.  What (or Who) created them
in the first place?  What (or Who) imparted velocity to them in that first
instant?

In my published essay, I discuss at some length Peirce's concept of
"nothing," including several of the other passages that you quoted below.
I argue that his later writings clarify that the "the womb of
indeterminacy" in CP 1.412 (1887-1888) is 3ns, rather than 1ns--an infinite
*continuum *of possibilities--and that the "boundless freedom" of this
"pure zero" or "germinal nothing" is what God as *Ens necessarium* exercised
in choosing which of them to actualize.  For Peirce, the hypothesis of
God's Reality begins as "a scientific proposition" (CP 6.215; 1898)--a
legitimate attempt to explain the surprising fact that there is something,
rather than nothing--and only later becomes a belief, a habit of conduct,
religious or otherwise.

CSP:  ... the N.A. is the First Stage of a scientific inquiry, resulting in
a hypothesis of the very highest Plausibility, whose ultimate test must lie
in its value in the self-controlled growth of man's conduct of life. (CP
6.480; 1908)

CSP:  ... the humble argument is the first stage of a scientific inquiry
into the origin of the three Universes, but of an inquiry which produces,
not merely scientific belief, which is always provisional, but also a
living, practical belief, logically justified in crossing the Rubicon with
all the freightage of eternity. (CP 6.485; 1908)

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt> - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt