Gary R, you wrote:

Although I've clearly stated that I agree with you, Bellucci, and Stjernfel,
that the dicisign is perhaps of particular importance in semiosis, I think that
valorizing it by claiming that it is the only sign class that has an immediate
object needs to be proved. You suggest that it has been so proved by Bellucci
in his book.

What I’ve said, more than once, is that Bellucci’s book follows the development
of Peirce’s speculative grammar in chronological order, with very generous
quotations from his manuscripts along the way and very astute commentary on
them; and that part of his Chapter 8 deals with the emergence of the “immediate
object” in that context. The question In that section “is the question of what
on earth the immediate object of a sign is” (Bellucci p. 291). The book is not
a polemic and does not try to “prove” that the dicisign is the only sign class
that has an immediate object. If you pay close attention to what Peirce wrote
about the immediate object in 1904-8, setting aside any prejudices you may have
about what the immediate object of a sign is, you will see that there is no
need to “prove” or disprove any such thing. But if you read Bellucci
polemically, as if he were taking one side in the debate that you and Jon seem
to be engulfed in, then you will surely miss his point (and Peirce’s), just as
you’ve missed the point of my posts over the past few days.

My attempts to clear up misunderstandings having only led to more
misunderstandings, I think it’s time for me to drop them and get back to
reading Peirce, as I still have many open questions to ponder about what he was
trying to do in 1903-08. My apologies for wasting your time in this thread.

Gary F.