}John, list

        An extremely interesting post. Many thanks.

        What can I say other than that - I agree with your outline and
suggestions to replace 'universal' with 'mathematical'.

        That change also inserts a notion of Mind, an active Mind,  into the
process - understanding 'mathematical' as an act of reasoning, while
'universal' brings to my mind more of a categorical definition.

        Edwina
 On Mon 20/08/18 11:10 AM , John F Sowa s...@bestweb.net sent:
 Edwina and Mike,
 I'll reply to your notes in the thread on virtual reality.
 But first, I'm forwarding the note copied below, which I sent
 to Ontolog Forum on Saturday.
 Quine's Dictum: To be is to be the value of a quantified variable.
 That principle led Quine, Goodman, and others to limit ontology
 to a very narrow scope, which downgraded or banished nearly all
 of Peirce's semiotic.  That led me to publish an article on
 "Signs and Reality" in the Applied Ontology Journal:
 http://jfsowa.com/pubs/signs.pdf [1]
 But some people objected to including a Peircean semiotic at
 the top level of ontology.  So I went one step further to draw
 a fundamental distinction between mathematics and physics.
 Then formal logic-semiotic would be a theory of pure mathematics
 that could be applied to all the semiotic processes that occur
 in the physical universe.
 That is the background for the following note, which I would
 like to mention in discussing your notes.
 John