Cecile, List:

For some reason, I did not receive the post below directly, only appended
to the replies from others.

As I explained to Helmut in another thread earlier today, according to
Peirce, "Representamen" is either a generalization of "Sign" or synonymous
with "Sign."  He initially treated "Sign" as having the more restrictive
meaning--"a Representamen with a mental Interpretant" (CP 2.274, EP 2:273;
1903)--but ultimately decided that "Sign" was preferable to "this horrid
long word" (SS 193; 1905).

It is consistent with Peirce's usage to say that "a sign is not a triadic
relation (after all), but only the first correlate of a triadic relation";
and to represent that triadic relation, not the Sign itself, with the Y
shape accordingly.  The Sign, Object, and Interpretant would then be at the
ends of the three tails, and the node in the middle would be the relation
of representing or (more generally) mediating.  However, the element of
"directionality" (from Object through Sign to Interpretant) is missing.

I typically use "semiosis" for the overall process, rather than an
individual event of a Sign-Replica producing a Dynamic Interpretant,
instead referring to the latter as an Instance of the Sign (cf. CP 4.537;
1906).