Cecile, Edwina, List:

CMC:  Since the representamen is the first correlate, isn't it more
consistent to talk about R-O-I ?

As is often the case, it depends on one's *purpose*.  R-O-I is indeed how
Peirce presented the three Correlates in certain passages, but O-R-I is the
well-established order of semeiotic determination; the Object determines
the Sign, which determines the Interpretant.  This *logical *(not temporal)
sequence is preserved even when we account for two Objects and three
Interpretants.

CSP:  ... the Dynamoid [Dynamic] Object determines the Immediate Object,
which determines the Sign itself, which determines the Destinate [Final]
Interpretant, which determines the Effective [Dynamic] Interpretant, which
determines the Explicit [Immediate] Interpretant ... (EP 2:481; 1908)

Moreover, I agree that having the Sign/Representamen "in the middle"
properly emphasizes its mediating role, *between *the Object and
Interpretant.

Regards,

Jon S.