John,

Auke
> Cees Schuyt, a Dutch Peirce scholar, suggested to distinguish being,
> existence and reality.

John
Suppose somebody (Euclid for example) said "If there exists a line AB, then
there exists an equilateral triangle ABC with AB as one side."
Where would the line AB and the triangle ABC exist?

In being?  In existence?  In reality?

In which of those three do we exist?  Is it the same one?
If so, how could we go to that place and look at ABC?
If it's not the same, how does it differ from where we are?
--

This reminds me of a remark by Wittgenstein. From memory: The only unbendable
strait line is the imaginary straight line.

Auke

The proposed ISO standard says that the physical universe is the only thing
that exists.  It has no room for sign types, just information artifacts.  No
room for pure mathematics, just embodied or implemented replicas.

What I'm looking for is a clear distinction with a pair of terms that can
distinguish signs and reality or pure math from applied math.  I proposed
signs/reality.  But they didn't like that because it's too Peircean.  I like
the pair logos/physis.  But an English pair, such as Transcendental/Physical,
may be better.