Edwina, Cecile, List,

Edwina wrote:

1] The 2.242 list of ten classes, which puts the Interpretant, Object and
Representamen relations in that order - is merely a NAME of a type of
semiosic Sign. As for this name representing adjectives before a noun - I
am not aware of any proof of this claim - and so, have no comment.

The principal 'proof' of each name "representing adjectives before a noun"
is that Peirce himself names each of the 10 sign classes in the order
Edwina gave above, viz. Interpretant-Object-Representamen (the order of
involution whereas 3ns involves 2ns and 1ns, and 2ns involves 1ns) and
*always* gives the Representamen last as a noun, the other two as
adjectives. So, for example.

 CP 2.256  Third: A Rhematic Indexical Sinsign.
 CP 2.269 Sixth: A Rhematic Indexical Legisign.

(Note, some signs can be named with fewer than three 'sub-parts' named
since the omitted 'sub-part'--of course, not literally a '*component*
part'--is necessarily implied in Peirce's logical schema of the 10
classes.)

Edwina continued:

4]  Finally, with regard to 1.274, "A Sign, or Representamen, is a First
which stands in such a genuine triadic relation to a Second, called its
Object, as to be capable of determining a Third, called its Interpretant,
to assume the same triadic relation to its Object in which its stands
itself to the same Object".

ET: I understand the above to refer to order-of-influence. The terms of
'First, Second, Third' do not refer to the three modal categories, but to
the ordinal linear lines-of-informational actions.

I disagree. Here and elsewhere Peirce associates Sign, Object, and
Interpretant with the categories. That the Sign mediates between the Object
and the Representamen is a consequence of its following the vector, or
order, of determination (2ns -> 1ns -> 3ns). We have already seen another
vector, that of the order of involution (3ns -> 2ns -> 1ns) in naming the
10 classes in the discussion above. (It is possible that all 6, or at least
most of the 6 possible vectors are involved in different facets of
semiosis.)

I am not familiar with the expression "order-or-influence" in Peirce's
writings nor the "ordinal linear lines-of-informational actions" (I have
absolutely no idea what either phrase might mean since, as I see it, and
especially since *no* order whatsoever is implied in the passage quoted).

Best,

Gary

On Thu 30/08/18 5:14 PM , Cécile Ménieu-Cosculluela
cecile.coscullu...@univ-pau.fr sent:

Edwina, Jon, List,

I too believe that

it is only because adjectives always come before nouns in English that the
S-FI and S-DO terms precede the S term.  In another language (e.g.,
Spanish) where adjectives can come after the nouns that they modify, one
would presumably refer to a Sinsign Indexical Rhematic.

Indeed, in French for instance, a Rhematic Indexical Sinsign is "un
sinsigne indiciaire rhématique".

If I understand you correctly, Edwina and Jon, you both think that in
semiosis the object is first, the representamen second, and the
interpretant third?

Edwina:

The reason I put the Representamen in the middle, is because its function
is to be 'in the middle', i.e., to accept input data from an external
source and then, mediate it, to result in an Interpretant.

Jon:

I also find it misleading to suggest that the Sign/Representamen comes
first in semiosis.  As I have noted recently, since the Sign mediates
between the Object and Interpretant, the "directionality" is instead from the
Object through the Sign to the Interpretant.

I find it all the more difficult to understand your perspective as you are
both

aware of Peirce's outline in 2.242, with the "Representamen is the First
Correlate of a triadic relation, the Second Correlate being termed its
Object, and the possible third Correlate being termed its Interpretant".
 also 1.274, "A Sign, or Representamen, is a First which stands in such a
genuine triadic relation to a Second, called its Object, as to be capable
of determining a Third, called its Interpretant, to assume the same triadic
relation to its Object in which its stands itself to the same Object".

Do you think there's any chance we might agree that this is a bit like
trying to decide who comes first, the chicken or the egg? Isn't the
continuity of semiosis summed up by R1-02-I3 and so on ad infinitum? So we
might say that an O initiates a semiosis through a R for an I, or present
that logical chain starting with any of its 3 elements since what truly
characterizes a semiosis is the synergy between the 3 correlates?

Best,

Attachments area

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*