Gary F., Gary R., List:

Many thanks to Gary F. for the blog post and slide show, and to Gary R. for
the links.  I second the latter's recommendation of this material to anyone
seeking greater clarity on the Type/Token distinction, which obviously
bears significantly on my contention that all Signs are Types of which
their Replicas are Tokens.  It also lucidly explains that the same word can
be *collectively *general, referring to the Type as a whole, vs.
*distributively
*general, referring to every individual Token of the Type.  This helps
explain why, when discussing his 1908 taxonomy, Peirce floated the
name *Collective
*for a Sign whose *Dynamic *Object is a Necessitant (EP 2:489), and the
name *Distributive *for a Sign whose *Immediate *Object is a Necessitant
(EP 2:488).

I am currently proposing to call a Necessitant DO the *General *Object,
because I hold that *every *Sign (Type) has one, so it is not a basis for
distinguishing some classes from others.  Perhaps *Collective *Object would
be better, since it indicates the relevant *kind *of generality.  My main
objection to this alternative remains the fact that some Signs instead have
a *Continuous *Object, such as the laws of nature ensuring that if the
wind *were
*to blow at *any *particular place and time, a weathercock or the ripples
on a lake *would *indicate its direction.  Again, an adjective that
encompasses *both *of these would be ideal, and "general" satisfies this
criterion; "after all continuity is generality" (CP 6.203; 1898).

I still prefer to call a Sign with a Necessitant IO a *Copulative*, because
I hold that this class is not limited to Signs that are distributively
general.  This name also emphasizes the nature of a Sign as an *Entelechy*,
"that which brings things together" (NEM 4:295; 1904), which is exemplified
by the continuous predicate of a Rhematic or Dicent Symbol--which I have
previously suggested calling a *continuous copula* instead--and the logical
leading principle of an Argument.