Dear Gary f, list,

You said:

“To sum up: many of Peirce’s important ideas don’t need to be ‘brought
into’ the 21stcentury because they are already here..”

I agree.  But there is an important point you neglect about this matter and
is something that is not recognized by most persons.

*In every investigation arguments stated in philosophical form are
different from those that are non-philosophical*..

The above is not Peirce’s terminology and it may or may not matter;- to
give one his due.

As to whether Peirce was aware of these words, consider the Peirce you
quote:

*If the phenomenon, when it comes, fulfills that expectation, it
strengthens the habits of thinking on which that expectation is based, but
teaches us nothing new. *

*But if it involves any surprise, as it mostly does, **our habits of
thinking* *are deranged, whether little or much. *

*We then feel the need of a new idea which shall serve to bind the
surprising phenomenon to our preëxisting experience. *

*One usual phrase is that we want the surprising fact *explained*.*

*.. At length a conjecture arises that furnishes a possible Explanation, by
which I mean a **syllogism** exhibiting the surprising fact as necessarily
consequent upon the circumstances of its occurrence together with the truth
of the credible conjecture, as premisses.*

And about all these matters the endeavor must be made to seek to convince
by means of rational arguments, using observed facts as evidences and
examples.

And this they will do

if led to change their ground,

for everyone has something relative to contribute to the truth,

and we must start from this

to give a sort of proof about our views;

for from statements that are true

but not clearly expressed,

as we advance,

clearness will also be attained,

if at every stage we adopt more scientific positions

in exchange for the customary confused statements.

On How to make our Ideas Clear..

*From CP 5.402 to CP 5.189*

With best wishes,
Jerry R