Atila, List,

Please pardon my delay in responding to your generous note on Tejera's work
available digitally and in print. I've been inordinately busy these past
few weeks, so for now just a few inter-laced comments. You wrote:

AB: The 3 main journals I found his works on Peirce were *Transactions of
CSP Society, American Journal of Semiotics*, and *Semiotische Berichte*.  I
was unable to find the digital versions today, but I will try to get them
out this fall (I work from hardcopy).

Because of copyright restrictions, we cannot place *Transactions* articles
on Arisbe. Fortunately, however, many Peirce-L members read *Transactions*
online and/or in its print edition. I'll hunt up some of the VT's articles
you pointed to myself. As for the other two journals, I'll have to look
into seeing if it is possible to place some of VT's articles on our
website.

AB: I think VT’s books have shown that Peirce was more consistent in his
usage than our contemporary counterparts in Habermas, Eco, and Barthes. The
main driver was to use Peirce’s way of thinking to address aesthetics and
poetics as philosophic. He took the disciplines of aesthetics, semeiotic
and poetics as the disciplines to understand literary art, an effort he
advanced since his dissertation in 1956.

While acknowledging that many, including some people on this list, have
found considerable value in the work of Habermas, Eco, and Barthes (I have
myself, especially as regards some of the work of Habermas), I too tend to
'return to Peirce' for insights into most philosophical matters I'm
considering.

And while most of Peirce's writing on semiotic and aesthestic (or esthetic,
as he preferred to spell it when discussing in as a normative science)
occur in his work in cenoscopic science (philosophy as he conceived of it),
I was reminded by Nathan Houser at the Charles S. Peirce International
Centennial Congress held at UMass Lowell in 2014, that not all was. Yet
much of this extra-scientific writing appears, I believe, in unpublished
letters and MSS. Still, there are many hints and suggestions of Peirce's
conception of aesthetics and poetics which some scholars have already
vigorously pursued (in architecture, literature, music, theology,
linguistics, etc.)

AB: For his examination on the Hypothesis of Continuity in Parmenides, and
Peirce, I would direct you to chapters 17-18 in *Two Metaphysical
Naturalisms* 2015. These were long slated for publication, with some
overlap in the chapters - the editorial decision was to place them together
in that book without reducing them into one. VT was particular that
Parmenides is correct in conceptualizing Being in the sense of the All as
the exclusive alternative of not-being, opposing the view that something
can both be and not-be.

This is most interesting. It immediately brought to mind the extraordinary
contemporary work in continuity and aesthetics, poetics, and much else
being done by the Colombian scholar, Fernando Zalamea. See for example
his *Peirce's
Logic of Continuity*:

https://www.docentpress.com/books/peirces-logic-of-continuity/

I was fortunate to attend a month long seminar series he gave in 2015 at
The Pratt Institute in New York City (and later, with Bev Corwin, to invite
him to speak at a Semiotics Web meetup/mashup when he next visited NYC).

https://zalameaseminarnyc.wordpress.com

This brief blurb on the series hints at the range of his interests.

Professor Zalamea‘s lectures introduce the groundbreaking work of twentieth
century French mathematician Alexander Grothendieck in relation to the work
of C.S. Peirce, Novalis, P. Valéry, theories of topoi and sheaves,
networks, art, and music, towards a generalized theory of transgression for
mathematics, philosophy, and contemporary culture in our transmodern world.

AB: Taken together, I think [VT] sought to formalize how art addresses the
human condition, at a certain level which he calls the perspective of
humanity – see his *Literature, Criticism and the Theory of Signs* book.
Also, see these 2 main papers here which continue the train of thought;

 "A Peircean Semeiotic for the Human Sciences, with Special Reference to
Aesthetics,"*European Journal for Semiotic Studies* Vol.8 (2,3) and Annales
d' Esthetique Athens Greece: 1992-1993 Vol. 31-32

"Generality and Reflective Quality in Works of Art: A Peircean Account,"
The Journal of Speculative Philosophy Vol. XI, No.4, pp. 280-296

 Perhaps I'm suggesting that it might be interesting and potentially
valuable to compare and contrast the work of these two great scholars, both
deeply informed by the work of Peirce. There are certainly those here quite
interested in discussing Peirce in relation to the human sciences, fine
arts, etc.

Thank you for bringing V. Tejera's life and work to our attention.

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*