Helmut, there is little that I can add to Edwina's reply. She has covered the
important issues eloquently. But I'd like to add a further comment, where you
write:

>"I agree that the right are tribal. To say that the left are tribal too is
>only partly true, i think."

How do you know this? If you believe this, then maybe you believe it because
you yourself are seeing the world from that tribal perspective. Which means
that instead of making an objective observation of your own, you are actually
proving MY point for me. Almost by definition... to be tribal (subjective) is
to see the world from your own level. If I am to take you seriously, then the
onus is on you to convince me that your assessment is objective and distinct
from your subjective assumptions. My metaphor of a fish in water applies... can
a fish really understand water, if there is no not-water with which to compare
it to?

Your reference to Hume provides an interesting, alternative slant on the very
point that I am making. YOU cannot conclude from your assumptions about the way
the world is, to what should be.

> "According to Hume, you cannot conclude from something being to what
> should be (from is to ought)."

sj