Supplement:
Comparing an analogue and a virtualized society with an organism:
A conventional society is organized by having as organs communication structures, like authorities, institutions, companies, NGOs, schools, universities, and so on. These outfits, like biological organs, have each a certain function and a certain place (adress). There is both functional and spatial composition, like with biological organs. In a democratic society even, there is separation of powers, making sure that the authorities do not work together like biological organs do. That is to prevent a society from becoming too organism-like.
The people are not organized for organs. They can work in one of these outfits, quit, work somewhere else, stay at home, travel... They are mobile, and organize their lifes more or less themselves. Mobility appears in the term "curriculum".
In a thoroughly dataized society, however, it will be different. Virtual space will become a rigid structure, and people have adresses in it. Everybody can be easily and quickly tracked down, by cameras with face recognition, money transfer (cash being abolished), behaviour analysis. As said, organs are both functionally and spatially composed, so for spatial composition of people: "Check", in virtual space, and traceability in real one too.
And functionally? Everybody has to obey certain ways of behaviour, how to use the machines. But dont people have the choice, how and when to use technology?  The machines are connected to one, and that is smarter (in an AI-way) than any individual. Where it doesnt force, it nudges people into certain functions, and classifies them. Today in China nobody can escape being classified. Due to this classification, functional mobility is restricted, i.e. function is specified. So "check" for functional composition too.
So, people will become organs, and cease to be organisms. This doesnt happen due to bad intention of people in power. It happens, because a natural principle says, that an organizing system tries to develop organism-likeness, integrates other organisms, and makes them organs (stripping them of their individuality). This is e.g. being observed by having analysed the history of eucariotic cells.

Dear Gene and Atila, list,
Here I add a chapter from a text I have written, comparing the internet with an eucariotic cell. We are organisms, and use tools for prolonged organs. But if the internet becomes organism-like, we will be the organs, and cease to be organisms (individuals), Quite culture-pessimistic I am. Unjustifiedly, I hope.  Best, Helmut

Society and individual, comparison with the organism (17/11/28)

The relations between a society and its individuals are interpretable as those between a society´s composition and the classification of its individuals. We must see, however, that in between a society and the individuals there are middle-systems, such as the institutions.

An organism mostly contains organs. Only about the lowest developed organisms, the prokaryotes (e.g. bacteria) you can hardly say that they have organs, because inside them the functional elements are swimming around, not contained by membrane hulls. The single-celled eukaryotes, on the other hand, have organs, called “organelles”, which are immigrated former prokaryotes (bacteria), having lost their individuality due to this integration, and so having become organs: Nucleus, mitochondria, plastides, and so on.

Multi-cellers historically are a composition from eukaryotic single-cellers, which, due to this compositional process, also have lost their individuality, their organism-character, and have become something like organs.

Organs are composed both spatially and functionally: They have spatial boundaries, and have limited function. Redundancy exists, apart from e.g. the two kidneys, especially with the cells (if you want to define them as organs). But cells too, except the few stem cells, are functionally specialized, so are functionally composed.

Now, by regarding biology, we may suspect: An organism-like composition from organs has for consequence, that merely the highest supersystem has got individuality. The subsystems are just organs, stripped of their individuality, serving the supersystem.

Those, who advocate a smart internet, or even a “singularity”, should stop to think: There can only be one being “smart” and an individual. In an excessive dataism, this would be the net. The humans first would be infantilized, then lose their individuality completely, and become mute servants, organs (with a limited function and a limited space, the latter being a virtual space in this case). So they would cease being organisms. Does anybody want that?

Authoritarian social systems, too, pursue this similarity with the organism: Followers of rigid kind of ruling speak of “volkskoerper” (This is a german word, meaning something like "population body", though "Volk" does not mean exactly "population" or "people", that would be "Bevoelkerung". "Volk" has a tribalist, ethnicist connotation). Do these folks want to give up their individuality? I would not care, but they should not be allowed to demand the same for decent people.

So, biological organs are, as said, composed both functionally and spatially. Traditionally, in a society, functional elements are also bound to certain places: Palace, town hall, offices, market places, and so on. It might seem that with digitalization, this spatial composition might dissolve: You can carry your notebook and your smartphone everywhere with you. But is it really so, that places play a smaller role?

I think, quite the contrary, only there is a shift from real space towards virtual space. Everybody who knows just a bit about computers, knows, that there is always the talk of “addresses”, and also knows the term “chat room”. The virtual space is much more effectively designable than the real one. I think that due to the digitalization of society, its functional elements become more organ-like, and society becomes more organism-like.

03. November 2018 um 21:04 Uhr