But i think, it is always good to re-engineer the wheel, intuitional results, role models, and cultures.
Anyway, our opinions are less apart than I was thinking. Only I think, that the leftist (except orthodox marxism), gender, and feminist movements are not completely NPC, but have some reasonable points as well.
Best, Helmut

08. Dezember 2018 um 13:18 Uhr
"Stephen Jarosek" <sjaro...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

HELMUT >”… knowing how to be is replication of behaviour, and a synthesis of assuming and imitating. I dont see the difference between that and NPCish groupthink

There is a difference. My reference to assimitating is in the context of knowing how to be, which revolves around the question “what is the correct way to be?” Groupthink revolves around the assertion “this is the correct way of being because my friends are doing the same thing.” Reality is very complex, and assimitation/imitation saves us the effort and expense of having to reinvent the wheel. Knowing how to be is the reason that role models are so important… which, as you suggest, revolves around curiosity and “why” questions, not the assertion of “because” answers – the latter characterizes groupthink. A behavior becomes groupthink when it is accepted unconditionally, without questioning it, just because everyone else is going along with it.

Or, to put all this another way… you might choose Jesus as a role model if you are looking for a best answer to the question being, but you might choose a movie star for a role model if you have decided that popularity is the answer to the questioning of being. Both relate to assimitation/imitation and knowing how to be, but we can clearly distinguish the latter as groupthink, with its emphasis on personal need.

Regards, sj

From: Helmut Raulien [mailto:h.raul...@gmx.de]
Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2018 12:06 PM
To: Stephen Jarosek
Cc: tabor...@primus.ca; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Aw: RE: RE: RE: [biosemiotics:9293] [PEIRCE-L] Re: Systems theory, DNA entanglement, agents and semiosis

Stephen,

you earlier wrote, that knowing how to be is replication of behaviour, and a synthesis of assuming and imitating. I dont see the difference between that and NPCish groupthink:

Replication of behaviour to me seems exactly what you wrote about groupthink: A degenerated firstness, just taking observed behaviour (former thirdness) for firstness again, without regarding other firstness influences. Association and habituation without something new that would mediate.

Though (for culture, knowing how to be) a habit (replication of behaviour) may also be the habit of revising habits. But for me the root of this critical behaviour does not originate from culture, but from precultural references, like human nature, possible to be observed at any child from any culture (curiosity, inquiring "why"-questions...).

Best, Helmut

 08. Dezember 2018 um 07:54 Uhr
"Stephen Jarosek" <sjaro...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

HELMUT >”groupthink is quite identical with culture

This is a category error. The characteristics that govern groupthink need to be distinguished from the principles that govern culture. Culture relates to pragmatism, knowing how to be, Heideggers Dasein. Groupthink describes something different. Some cultures are more predisposed to groupthink than others, and NO culture is exempt. My own humble estimation is that the problem of groupthink revolves around some kind of failure of firstness, in the mediation of secondness and thirdness. Reflexive and automaton-like behavior can take place with emphasis on secondness and thirdness (association and habituation) and the muting or degeneration of firstness, perhaps as a product of fear and the need to belong. Both the Left and the Right in politics are capable of groupthink.

Paul Joseph Watson nails the groupthink of the left in his video on NPC-bots:
https://youtu.be/M0aienuCBdg
And we are all too familiar with the iconic groupthink of the right:
https://www.gettyimages.ch/detail/nachrichtenfoto/jubilant-crowd-salutes-nazi-leader-adolf-hitler-nachrichtenfoto/81512242

sj