John characterized Aristotle: “5. Rational psyche of an animal having logos
(zôon logon echein).

            Each psyche inherits all the abilities of the more primitive
psyches.

For Aristotle, the rational psyche of humans is the most advanced.”

I prefer “Rational psyche of an animal having logos (zôon logon echein).”
The idea that humans adequately meet that criterion, if that is Aristotle’s
opinion and if I am correctly understanding it, is problematic.

     It would be typical of humans to overrate the rational capacity and to
self-glorify the rational as the most “advanced.” One could also say that
the rational psyche of humans is the most advanced in destructive
irrationality. The human rational psyche’s most notable achievement
retrospectively may be the now developing anthropocene extinction event,
which will likely have virtually extinguished the current model of humans
and decimated life more generally.

     Another perspective is that the “rational psyche of humans,” rather
than being the most advanced, is the most dependent on the rest of the
community of life. This is the way it was and still is usually conceived by
peoples of the earth, with understanding of the need for limits on the
overweening rational human psyche. And it may prove to be the more proper
balance, of a piece with Peirce’s ideas on rational mind as “Unmatured
Instinctive Mind”:

“The conception of the Rational Mind as an Unmatured Instinctive Mind which
takes another development precisely because of its childlike character is
confirmed, not only by the prolonged childhood of men, but also by the fact
that all systems of rational performances have had instinct for their first
germ” CP 7.381.

The others, us, the civilized peoples who in various ways thought and still
think that the earth could be controlled and transcended through
technology, religions of transcendence, and the progress of power, are in
the process of having that hubris brought down to earth.

James Lovelock, who invented the electron capture detector in 1957, with
which he was the first to measure CFCs in the atmosphere, and who later,
while working for NASA, proposed the Gaia hypothesis, said in an interview
in 2008:

"There have been seven disasters since humans came on the earth, very
similar to the one that’s just about to happen. I think these events keep
separating the wheat from the chaff. And eventually we’ll have a human on
the planet that really does understand it and can live with it properly.
That’s the source of my optimism.” For more of his optimism of the long
run:
https://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2008/mar/01/scienceofclimatechange.climatechange

Gene Halton