Edwina,

Since we are in metatalk about semiotics and its importance I take your
comments as refinements and not as criticism. As are mine remarks between your
lines.

Auke - thanks for your post. A few comments.

1] I disagree that the analysis of Peirce is Either to focus on the terminology
OR - there is no analysis but the focus is for the use of 'the general public'.

The research that makes use, even without using Peircean terms, but makes use
of the basic analytic infrastructure - within the informational sciences,
within the biological sciences, within cognitive and neurological research,
within organic chemistry, within economic dynamics, within linguistic
development - is NOT part of the 'general public's focus'. It's scientific.

RE: I agree. I didn’t mean it exclusively. My remark is motivated by the
struggle I had to go through before I at long last found a way to get the
general scheme to the public.  As a matter of fact I did also profit from far
less by technical semiotic terms steered research because it followed the basic
analytic infrastructure.

2] The use of the terms - or concepts - of the semiotic triad of O-R-I [and
subsets] and the dynamics of the three modal categories, no matter how they are
termed in the above research areas - is not focused on 'which term is the
correct term' - but on the CONCEPTS of semiosis. Again -even if the researchers
are not using semiotic terms. They are using that analytic framework - and any
work on our part to expand the knowledge of the Peircean analytic framework -
provides, in my view, a powerful tool to deal with areas in the above sciences.
This expansion of use has nothing to do with terminology but with the
conceptual infrastructure of semiosis.

Re: of course, but one pins down an conceptual infrastructure with the help of
‘terms and their relationship’.

3] With regard to your use of Peircean semiotics - as you outline:

" I shifted from the production of objects made in arts to personal development
and from there to interactions. Resulting in the application of a semiotically
grounded method for conflict resolving in an educational setting, "...[and]
..".how the sign aspects are related to the interpretants, Peirce
distinguishes, when a sign is inscribed in a sheet in its actual state"

This is a pragmatic use of Peirce. Pragmatically using the Peircean
infrastructure means you CAN use his terms - or - you can use other terms.

RE: see my response to 1]

4] My point is that Peirce's vast work carried out over so many years is NOT
something that is focused on terminology, which would confine it strictly to
the elite seminar rooms, but is a powerful analytic framework for examining and
understanding the real objective world.

RE: And again. But of course. However I like to be able to inspect that
framework as to its build and for that I find the technical term distinctions
that Peirce made very inspiring. On top of that. Peirce started with
similarities in his earliest work and throughout his career he added layer
after layer, coining terms in high frequency. The focus is on the understanding
of semiosis, the tools are the technical terms.  Its good to keep inspecting
and comparing ones tools.

Best,

Auke

Edwina

On Sat 30/03/19 11:43 AM , "Auke van Breemen" a.bree...@chello.nl
<mailto:a.bree...@chello.nl>  sent:

Dan, Edwina, List,

I agree with Dan and Edwina with an however in favor of work on the semiotic
engine and its make up in the technical terms that shy off the general public.

Since I started analyzing design processes of artist in the late 80’íes I tried
to combine an empirical bend with an interest of modelling the situation
graphically in technical semiotical terms. The general scheme Dan and Edwina
point to (and as I understand it in my own undoubtedly very personal way, which
itself evolves along the way) functioning as the hard core of the research
program.  I shifted from the production of objects made in arts to personal
development and from there to interactions. Resulting in the application of a
semiotically grounded method for conflict resolving in an educational setting,
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/978-3-642-55355-4_3.pdf   (it is
of wider use, I extended the model and used it in a commercial domain).

However: This I could only do because I always tried to model semiosis in
semiotic terms. And, because others on this list, and elsewhere (Sarbo,
Farkas), were trying to come to grips with the technical side of semiotics.

For example, everybody reading the Springer Quality of service text will see
that I am inspired by Gary R’s Trikonic, which I class as theoretical.  Without
that work I would never have imagined to try to incorporate it in my
application. It proved gold because it enables me to have participants in my
method explicate their position in such a way that contestants in a conflict
can compare their differences in a systematic way. I leave out the valuable
influence of many others on this list.

It must be an interplay between both interests. It is also important to try to
model the process of interpretation in semiotic terms for its own sake.  The
key to that in my take is showing how the sign aspects are related to the
interpretants, Peirce distinguishes, when a sign is inscribed in a sheet in its
actual state. In that respect he left an interesting, still incomplete and as
to its constituent pieces debated puzzle.

But of course, in the end, it must be the fruit of application that proves the
worth of the tree.

Best Auke