Gary F, List,

As you listen, perhaps, to the Dark Side of the Moon, I recommend the following
instance where Peirce reflects on his own blunder concerning the "blot". He
says:

I can make this blackened Inner Close as small as I please, at least, so long
as I can still see it there, whether with my outer eye or in my mind's eye. Can
I not make it quite invisibly small, even to my mind's eye? "No," you will say,
"for then it would not be scribed at all." You are right. Yet since confession
will be good for my soul, and since it will be well for you to learn how like
walking on smooth ice this business of reasoning about logic is -- so much so
that I have often remarked that nobody commits what is called a "logical
fallacy," or hardly ever does so, except logicians; and they are slumping into
such stuff continually -- it is my duty to [point out] this error of assuming
that, because the blackened Inner Close can be made indefinitely small,
therefore it can be struck out entirely like an infinitesimal. That led me to
say that a Cut around a Graph instance has the effect of denying it. I retract:
it only does so if the Cut enclosed also [has] a blot, however small, to
represent iconically, the blackened Inner Close. I was partly misled by the
fact that in the Conditional de inesse the Cut may be considered as denying the
contents of its Area. That is true, so long as the entire Scroll is on the
Place. But that does not prove that a single Cut, without an Inner Close, has
this effect. On the contrary, a single Cut, enclosing only A and a blank,
merely says: "If A," or "If A, then" and there stops. If what? you ask. It does
not say. "Then something follows," perhaps; but there is no assertion at all.
This can be proved, too. For if we scribe on the Phemic Sheet the Graph
expressing "If A is true, Something is true," we shall have a Scroll with A
alone in the Outer Close, and with nothing but a Blank in the Inner Close. Now
this Blank is an Iterate of the Blank-instance that is always present on the
Phemic Sheet; and this may, according to the rule, be deiterated by removing
the Blank in the inner close. This will do, what the blot would not; namely, it
will cause the collapse of the Inner Close, and thus leaves A in a single cut.
We thus see that a Graph, A, enclosed in a single Cut that contains nothing
else but a Blank has no signification that is not implied in the proposition,
"If A is true, Something is true." When I was in the twenties and had not yet
come to the full consciousness of my own gigantic powers of logical blundering,
with what scorn I used to think of Hegel's confusion of Being with Blank
Nothing, simply because it had the form of a predicate without its matter! Yet
here am I after devoting a greater number of years to the study of exact logic
than the probable number of hours that Hegel ever gave to this subject,
repeating that very identical fallacy! Be sure, Reader, that I would have
concealed the mistake from you (for vanity's sake, if for no better reason), if
it had not been "up to" me, in a way I could not evade, to expose it.

-- From "Copy T," c. 1906; one of a number of fragmentary manuscripts designed
to follow the present article.

For my part, I tend to think Peirce uses the term "blot" in an ordinary way to
refer to an instance of a relatively large spot of, say, ink on a page.  Blots,
like spots on a page, are instances or replicas. Dots, as instanced by a
heavily drawn spot, on the other hand, are taken be logical symbols that are
interpreted according to a general rule (see, for example, Convention 4 of the
Beta Graphs). So, we have dots, spots and blots. How might we interpret the
philosophical meaning of a blot that fills part of a scroll in the gamma part
of the EG where there is a recto and verso side of the page? Might it be
analogous in some ways to a side of a moon on which the rays of the sun do not
directly shine?

That general idea appears to be something that Peirce explored when he
suggested that we can imagine projective rays emanating from the starting
points of inquiry, illuminating the recto side of each page in a larger book of
assertions expressed alternately in the mood of interrogatives, optatives,
imperatives and indicatives. If inquiry is honest and is governed by the goal
of seeking adequate explanations of what really is the case, then we can
imagine those rays converging as they pass through a book with an unending
multitude of pages at an ideal of truth at the end of such inquiry. As such, we
need not lose heart in the face of blunders--big or small. (see CP 6.581-7)

Yours,

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor