Thank you Jon Alan, this is really helpful and I thank you very much for
making this extreme clarification effort. I could have written the first
two paragraphs up to the number "729" and this is already a very important
achievement.

I can see the disagreement. To be sure, it is worth verifying that in the
daily practice of signs the analyses that you and I would make would be as
different as those that can be rationally prejudged when we express each
other. That's why I'll make you a proposal at the end of the post.

1.                  Before I would like to clearly act the theoretical
disagreement:

you place If (= "*what the sign itself would necessarily mean to someone in
ideal circumstances, including the ultimate opinion after an infinite
investigation by an infinite community"*) directly after S that would
logically determine it. The sequel is self-evident because for you this If
located just after S logically determines the last two..

2.          For me:

·                    *S* is perceived by existing subjects (interpreters)
(or who have existed depending on the time of the analysis). S is the
product of a coding  a priori made with the help of Oi and determined by
Od. A process of interpretation takes place at the time of the "physiological"
perception of this sign (the literature on visual signs is found in the
notion of "retinex", a suitcase word put for "retina+ cortex" that
illustrates my point).). The process is as follows:

   -        *Id* is for each subject the determination of his mind by this
   perception. Id consists in  the reactivation of what the subject has
   actually internalized during his collateral experiments of the
   earlier/external uses of this sign S. It is in a way his abstract
   subjective *theory* in force in his mind at that very moment.
   -
   -        *Ie:*  is determined by Id  itis the actualization of this
   prior internalization  *faced with* the current circumstances of the
   perception of the sign (the perception of the flag of the USSR today which
   does not have the same effect as in 1950 and yet its characteristics are
   the same) in the mind of the subject. In other words, this is what the
   transmitter manages to create in the mind of the interpretater by
   successively using the only possible channels:  a prior coding followed
   by a percept .Any advertising sign is a perfect illustration of my point
   and by extension I will go so far as to say that all signs are signs of
   this nature from Roland Barthes' "passionate roses" to Colin Powell's flour
   tube on February 5, 2003. Efficient suits me very well because it reflects
   in a way the *"performance"* of the sign with the interpreters he meets. For
   Roland Barthes what the effects of red roses  offered to people to whom
   another person wants to express his passion, for Colin Powell it was the
   effects of his tube on the whole world that had to perceive the dreaded
   anthrax. Juste a reminder:"*By the way, the dynamical object does not
   mean something out of the mind. It means something forced upon the mind in
   perception, but including more than perception reveals. It is an object of
   actual Experience"* (EP 478)

   -         *Iex*, explicit interpretant, is the result of this
   confrontation. The subject is* "forced"* to either retain his subjective
   theory, or modify it to take into account the experience he has just
   done in particular circumstances. "*But we must also note that there is
   certainly a third kind of Interpretant, which I call the Final
   Interpretant, because it is that which would finally be decided to be the
   true interpretation if consideration of the matter were carried so far that
   an ultimate opinion were reached*." (CP 8.184). In other words, it is
   the subject who decides the sustainability of his subjective theory
strengthened
   or modified in a race towards his ultimate opinion that could be the
   current opinion.

I come back to you: you place the subject (someone) from the beginning in
ideal circumstances where he would be the holder, at the time of his
perception of the sign, of the result of an infinite investigation
conducted by the community to which he belongs.  For me it is clearly "a
view of the mind". How can he access it? For this result cannot be
communicated to him by the creator of the sign whose conceptions in this
area are historically dated. Certainly the issuer can imagine him as a
member of this community; he may have the means to do so, and I do not deny
him that possibility. The receiver too. It would clearly be a recourse
to a *collective
imagination,*  a central concept of Jungian analytical psychology, also
studied by many sociologists, notably Cornelius Castoriadis and also
anthropologists ... Everything would then happen in this collective
imagination and the confrontation would occur between their subjective
theories as both participants in community building. But now I may be
driving you into areas you don't want to go to.

So could we continue this debate by exemplifying it on the simple cases
that I propose: semiotic analyses (summary, just the essentials) with our
respective hexadic signs of the flags of the former USSR, Nazi Germany, the
United States and France. It would not be a beauty contest but an
experience that can be revealing because there are to my knowledge very few
analyses with this six-item sign except the examples of Peirce of course.
If you agreed, I'll start whenever you want.

Best regards and thank you again,

Robert