Jerry, List,

I am sure, that waiting for the action of others does not mean not doing and thinking anything while waiting. The professor is talking to young students, so he puts the esteem on them, but he does not superestimate them over his own age group.
An esthetical or ethical sign has two objects, or better, an object blended of two aspects, one from the self and one from the external world. The self-part is integrity of all identities one has. The external part is somehow affecting this integrity. If the integrity is threatened by it, the interpretant contains ugliness or ethical badness. If the integrity is stabilized or even widened, the interpretant contains beauty or ethical goodness. The sign/representamen also shows these two aspects internal and external. To call them proprioception and exteroception would mean to have to include into these concepts not only the bodily but also at the mental aspects of self and environment.
The set of identities of a person consists of all particular and universal traits and capacities one has. Sin, I think, is ignorance of some of them, like e.g. the human identity, the life identity, the universal identity, and the superestimation of particular ones, e.g. ego, gender, class, nation. But sin works the other way too, e.g. ignorance of the ego in favour of one´s religion to become a suicide bomber, or ignorance of one´s class or peer group to become a traitor. But with these latter two examples, universal identies, like humanity, have to be ignored as well, I think.

One might argue: Are these two aspects (self and environment) not merely necessary for esthetics, while ethics may be objective, having nothing to do with the self? I don´t think so, e.g the categorical imperative includes own interest. But the universalist maxim does too, I think, because it only can play a role for somebody who has responsibilty -as an identity of the self-, and to show that everybody has responsibility there is categorical impereative again.

Best,

Helmut

14. Juni 2020 um 22:55 Uhr
 "Jerry Rhee" <jerryr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Dear list,

I have tried to stay quiet but this statement really offends me:

“So now I will tell you what nobody has told you before this;

that we older folks are waiting for you.”

It is as though the older folk have forgotten their obligation to address the following criticism:

'Why doth he not come who hath so long announced himself?'

thus do many people ask;

'hath solitude swallowed him up? Or should we perhaps go to him?'

For

There are Two Causes of Sin, Ignorance and Weakness;
And We need Divine Help to Overcome Both

There are two causes that lead to sin:
either we do not yet know our duty,
or we do not perform the duty that we know.

___

All this talk about esthetics ethics logic and normative sciences..

Is it not obvious that Peirce was incompetent for the task imposed upon him of defining the esthetically good?

For if he had, then it would be just as obvious that we would recognize and communicate it.

For are we not, already, the moral community?
I mean, what other reason is there for the surprising fact, that

America today has largely abandoned what might be called the normative trivium of aesthetics, ethics, and logic -- Peirce's three Normative Sciences

To the question, then, for

"Why then had it not been put to its serious use?"

No reason can be given, except that the motive to do so was not strong enough.
The motives to doing so could only have been desire for gain and philanthropy.

The creed which accepts as the foundation of morals, Utility,

or the Greatest Happiness Principle,

holds that actions are right in proportion as they tend to promote happiness,

wrong as they tend to produce the reverse of happiness.

By happiness is intended pleasure, and the absence of pain;

by unhappiness, pain, and the privation of pleasure.

The pursuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain motivate all our actions.

The initial question,
“Why does cognition sometimes lead to action and sometimes not?”
should be understood to demand the answer that the syllogistic examples will provide: because sometimes there are present both a desire for the apprehended goal and a cognitive specification of what must be done if the goal is to be reached, and sometimes not.

“as I was saying all along, in respect to these matters I go astray, up and down, and never hold the same opinion; and that I, or any other ordinary man, go astray is not surprising;

but if you wise men likewise go astray, that is a terrible thing for us also,

if even when we have come to you we are not to cease from our straying.”

From A Little Known Argument for the Being of God to A Neglected Argument for the Reality of God

So that this is not yet ‘another’ kind of criticism put forth by the likes of Mrs. Bell to Emerson,

I would demand of the older folk, then, to

summarize the article in a concluding page or two, to be added to the article, in order to forestall careless cavillers who might say,

Œwhat, then, precisely, is your neglected argument?'"

With best wishes,
Jerry R