Jon AS, list,

What caught my attention so far in your transcript of R787 was this paragraph,
which comes just before the one I’d quoted earlier from NEM 4:ix:

[[ There are, however, observations which are not only open to all men; but
which are necessarily open to all intelligences capable of acquiring
scientific, imperfect knowledge from observation and reasoning. The science
which is based on such observations as these may suitably be called philosophy.
This science will be somewhat narrower than what is commonly called philosophy,
since it will exclude ethics, esthetics, etc. which repose on observations
which might be foreign to some kind of scientific mind. This science of
philosophy, although it is observational, yet will have, in a certain sense, a
necessary character; for it is based exclusively on such observations as must
be open to every scientific intelligence. According to my views of logic, it is
impossible to find any absolute criterion of whether a given obser-[s1|6]vation
is necessary, in that sense; and continual errors in this respect in the course
of the evolution of the science ought to be expected. This quasi-prediction,
based on the above theory of the nature of philosophy, has been amply fulfilled
in the history of philosophy; and this is a probable argument in favor of the
approximate correctness of that theory. But it does not follow that there is no
method by which philosophy may be gradually and indefinitely improved and its
errors be successively eliminated. ]]

It seems clear to me that what Peirce calls philosophy here is what he later
calls phenomenology (and still later, phaneroscopy), as this observational
science is positive (unlike mathematics) but not normative (as it excludes
ethics, esthetics, etc.). What makes its observations “necessary” is that they
are not relative to the species of the observer, but must be observable by
“every scientific intelligence”. So he makes the “quasi-prediction” that, for
instance, certain observations may turn out to be relative to the human
sensorium, or the specifically human embodiment, and are thereby proven to be
not “necessary” in this sense. It seems, then, that we can only arrive at our
list of “observations which must be open to every scientific intelligence”
through a process of elimination. Peirce’s retroductive prediction in his
phenomenology is that the only “observables” which can never be eliminated by
that process are Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness. I would say that his
“reduction thesis” is an attempt to prove this mathematically, but of course
mathematics can never prove an assertion made by a positive science, i.e. any
assertion claiming to be true of the real world of experience. This is why
Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness, abstract as they are, are not primarily
mathematical objects.

It’s also the reason that iconic signs (such as diagrams) should not be
regarded as primarily visual, because there may well be “scientific
intelligences” whose embodiment does not enable visual experience.

Gary f.