Supplement: There is one thing I have written about, I dont understand: I wrote I had read somewhere, that potential energy is negative and has the same amount in the universe as all other energies and masses, so the sum of energy would be zero. But in thermodynamics, potential energy is not negative. So this zero-energy model is either a hoax, or an uncommon, maybe pseudo-scientific way of calculation? I dont know. Does anybody?
Edwina, List,

I consider the universe closed in the way, that entropy increases, but not in the way, that, because of this, the ratio between exergy and anergy too increases. But it only is a crude hypothetic attempt to combine cosmology, semiotics, and thermodynamics. In real processes, exergy, the energy that is able to do work, is partly changed to anergy, the useless part of energy. Only in ideal model processes exergy may be completely conserved. These processes are called reversible processes. If the universe is closed or not, nobody knows, I think. I donot think, that thirdness holds energy from being dissipated. On the contrary, the more (semiotically) happens, the more dissipation happens. The more dissipation, the more exergy is changed to anergy, and entropy produced. As a counterpart to this anergy production I see the accelerating expansion of space, producing potential energy (exergy). Maybe black holes change anergy to exergy? They consume, besides solid mass, also gases with equalized temperature (anergy), and heat it up and concentrate it. But nobody knows what happens next with this mass and energy: Does it pop up elsewhere, maybe refill the virtual sphere, from which new particles appear? Cosmology is mainly speculation, I think. My speculation I have chosen in the way I like it best: No big chill.

Best,
Helmut

 24. Oktober 2020 um 00:53 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>
wrote:

Helmut -

I'm not sure if I understand your analogies, but entropy only increases in a closed system. Do you consider the Universe closed?

And I consider that Firstness is dissipation of energy, eg, the energy stored in a cell dissipates over time unless that cell introduces more matter/energy , while Secondness is an enclosed 'bit/unit' of energy, and Thirdness is the organizational pattern that 'holds' that energy to counter dissipation.

I don't understand your comment about exergy- for it, to my understanding, refers to an irreplaceable loss of energy, while the triadic system is geared to prevent such a total dissipation. That is - a cell, which operates within a triadic process,  - this triadic process is not reversible - as it is in exergy.

An open system is a triadic semiosic process - geared to prevent total dissipation and to enable adaptation and avolution.

So- I don't compare exergy to Firstness - because the categorical modes do not operate in a non-triadic system...and Firstness functions within a triad.

Equally- I don't understand your comment that entropy is connected with Thirdness. The function of Thirdness within the triad is to introduce a continuity of morphology such that entropy cannot become dominant.

Edwina

On Fri 23/10/20 4:13 PM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:

Edwina, Robert, List,

I think that information aka negentropy is not a counterweight to entropy, because it depends on dissipation, and the amount of produced information cannot exceed the amount of entropy produced with its production.
I think, the counterweight for entropy is the accelerated expansion of the universe, which makes masses get further apart from each other, by which potential energy is increased. Potential energy is exergy, and i guess, that this way the ratio between exergy and anergy possibly is kept constant, though entropy constantly rises.
If exergy is connected with firstness, and the production of entropy with thirdness, and if the source of firstness is on the universal scale (accelerated expansion of the universe), I think that the whole semiotic process all in all is one of down- and upscaling. In the beginning something (triadic) happens in the universe, and in the end it happens between people or particles. The ratio between firstness and thirdness is the same in big and in small scales, firstness is provided in the biggest scale and handed or conveyed down to small ones, information is a part of that, and thirdness in the form of entropy is conveyed the other way, each small action contributing to the "big chill", which I guess will never happen.
Can the universe expand forever? Maybe it separates, calves?

Best, Helmut

 23. Oktober 2020 um 16:40 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky"
wrote:

I think that's a key notion - the necessity for a triplet, which is an intellectual construct, to become a triad, a morphological construct.

The reason for this is that basic "permanent confrontation between entropy and negentropy, which would be constitutive of the very being of energy". This means that the semiosic triad and process is not a human, so to speak, intellectual exercise, but is a physico-chemical/biological reality - which we humans then intellectually analyze. - and can do so, mathematically as evidence of this natural reality.

Edwina

On Fri 23/10/20 9:32 AM , robert marty robert.mart...@gmail.com sent:

Thank you Edwina ...it seems to me that you encapsulate the concepts of dissipation/morcellization/regularity with the three universal categories which have no real existence since they result from triadic reduction, an operation of pure form on the space of the n-adic relations they allow to generate. So encapsulation makes the simple triplet a triad, which makes regularity appear as a necessity produced by the permanent confrontation between entropy and negentropy, which would be constitutive of the very being of energy. So could we then see in it yet another illustration of the role that mathematics can play, even at this level?
RM
Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy