Edwina,
I see. I think, I mistakenly have compared the thing I was talking about with semiotics. Maybe it might better refer to LOR. I guess, the triadic sign is something too special to be suggested for model in this respect. The triadicity in the Logic Of Relatives probably suits better to the emergence hypothesis, that binarities may create a triadicity, which from then on cannot be reduced back to binarities.
The sexuality-example can only be understood with the hypothesis, that culture, habits, feelings are not something self-created, but are due to logic, which is universal. Meaning, yes, a human may, with some empathy, roughly know what it is like to be a bat, and in an alien culture 2000 light years away they have similar social problems like we have.

Best, Helmut

22. November 2020 um 18:18 Uhr
"Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>
wrote:

Helmut

My apologies - I see your point against the yes-no-maybe. But I don't think that the middle action of mediation emerges from the interaction of polarities. This is almost a type of 'averaging' where all individual units partake of 'some' of each other.

The middle term is a set of 'normative habits of organization' - That's not the same as that 'dilution of types'. The mediative process is extremely powerful in moving data from original sensate input [Dynamic Object] to resultant specific Interpretant [Dynamic Interpretant]. ..whether that Interpretant is the meaning of a word or a nutrient transformed into a healthy cell.

Edwina

On Sun 22/11/20 12:05 PM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:

Edwina,
Yes, I agree, that the so-called progressives are not per se better argumenting or more ethical people than conservatives. An overreacting progressive can be a real monster. But you told me, that "The Peircean triad doesn't mean that there are three options [ie black, white and gray]. The Peircean triad is an irreducible process, where the middle term is an action-of-mediation. Not a third option.The Peircean triad doesn't mean that there are three options [ie black, white and gray]. The Peircean triad is an irreducible process, where the middle term is an action-of-mediation. Not a third option. " But isnt that, what I wrote myself? I wrote: "I think, this is wrong.", and meant by it your black-white-gray distinction, I have called it the yes-no-maybe-distinction by Lukasiewicz.
So, dont you think, that the middle term action-of-mediation might come from, or supplemetarily be analysed as, an emergence caused by the interaction of different polarity dimensions as I was writing?

Best,
Helmut

22. November 2020 um 17:30 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky"
wrote:

Helmut - I think you've fallen into your own definitional trap.

The Peircean triad doesn't mean that there are three options [ie black, white and gray]. The Peircean triad is an irreducible process, where the middle term is an action-of-mediation. Not a third option.

And I don't see what this triadic process has to do with 'homophobia and transphobia'.

Nor would I define a conservative perspective as 'binary'. I would define a closed perspective as...closed - and its opinions could be binary or completely relativistic and anarchistic. After all, the so-called 'progressives' can be as rigid and unyielding in their relativism as any so-called conservative. I would define an open perspective as - open to change. That's all.

Edwina

On Sun 22/11/20 10:59 AM , Helmut Raulien h.raul...@gmx.de sent:

List,

As Peircean semiotics is a three-valued logic, I think it bears relevance for the discussion about multiple-valued logic. But I have the impression, that multipleness is sometimes explained away by just adding a "maybe" to the values "yes" and "no" (e.g. Lukasiewicz). I think, this is wrong. I think, multipleness comes from more than one dimension of (binary) polarities being relevant for one problem. If a problem is analysed by more than one dimension of polarities, it can be shown, that the logic, the problem depends on, is tri- or more- adic. According to Peirce and others, a more-than-three-adicity can be reduced to three-adicities, but a three-adicity cannot always, or can hardly ever, be reduced to binarities.

I would say, when different polarities create a triadicity, which from then on cannot be reduced back to them, this is an emergence.

A polarity is logically an easy thing to grasp, and a traidicity is not. So this emergence often brings with it a feeling of loss of control, and anger. This is an explanation for homophobia and transphobia:

The conservative concept of sexuality is male-female, so binary, like black-white, hot-cold, right-wrong, up-down, open-closed, well-unwell. When somebody claims for him*herself to belong to a third gender, conservative people see, that this way their world is made more complicated and harder to grasp, they feel a loss of control, and blame this person for deliberately being the reason for that.

The reason for sexuality being not binary anymore is, that in an open society there are more than one polarity-dimensions now. One dimension is the biological male-female distinction (the sex), another dimension is the social dimension (the gender): What sex do I want to be, and the third dimension is the attraction: Which sex am I attracted to for having as a partner. A fourth dimension is, do I care about sex at all, or am rather tired of the whole topic.

I just have mentioned this example due to its obvious relevance in contemporary discussions, but there are many more examples in nowadays culture, e.g. the rightism-leftism-discussion. Today it is not so easy anymore to distinguish between what is rightist and what leftist, like it was in former decades.

Well, I just wanted to propose looking at all these things sensibly, with using adicy-models and the concept of emergence and irreducibility of triads. I have the feeling, that a triadic view is opposed to digitalism, which, with its binary 1-0-distinction in the small transistor-scale just creates polarities, fiter bubbles, hatred, in the large scales of communication too.

Best,
Helmut

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . ► To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message NOT to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with no subject, and with the sole line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm . ► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP; moderated by Gary Richmond; and co-managed by him and Ben Udell.