Charles, Edwina, List,

I understand the falsity-truth distinction abstractly, because Spencer-Brown´s calculus is isomorphic with Peirce´s Entitive Graphs, and the cut in them is, translated to Boolean, a "NOT". The truth of the unmarked space then would not be ultimate, but original truth.

I think, S.-Brown´s calculus suits well to linguistics, because speech is a constructive action of a subject, and the said calculus is also subjective and constructivistic, it starts with the imperative "Draw a distinction". I guess that here mostly the commander and the obeyer is the same subject, as both decider and acter.

So I think, that this model is constructivistic and subjective. I wonder how to compare this model and make it come close with other models, e.g existentialistic ones, or ones that claim objectivity. I am suspecting, that this compartison might show, that a distinction, especially a re-entry can be blurred and dissolved, or elsehow conditioned.

Best, Helmut

23. November 2020 um 15:59 Uhr
 "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>
wrote:

Sounds rather Buddhist - ie, 'ultimate truth which is empty of concrete characteristics - vs -provisional or concrete instantiations..

I don't see this as Peircean - for all three categories [1ns, 2ns and 3ns] are necessarily functional in his Realism. And his Objective Idealism includes matter with the idea.

Edwina

On Mon 23/11/20 12:14 AM , Charles Pyle char...@pyle.tv sent:

Hi Helmut,

Yes, as you surmise. I think it is reasonable to take this as a refinement of Spencer-Brown. Let me explain it a little further.

The space in which language grows is a kind of gravitational field where truth is the center from which language arises in the form of marks each of which is an elaboration of some prior, and each mark is a sign of falsity. Thus the structure of language arises layer by layer as a structure of falsity. The more marked, the more false. And it is a gravitational space because the false tends by its nature to fall apart and reveal the underlying, whether it is only a relatively less false underlying layer, or the ultimate underlying layer of truth itself. Because of the nature of the relation between truth and falsity, falsity must be continually reinforced, repaired, defended, etc. or it will fall apart.

In terms of markedness, truth is unmarked and unmarkable. Truth is silent. Every element of language arises from some prior by elaborating on the prior. Thus the first event in the arising of language is the production of a sound that interrupts silence and in doing so creates the derivative ground on which language is elaborated. The most unmarked vowel, the most open vowel, the most sonorant vowel is a. So in theory we can hypothecate a as the first mark which establishes the space of language as deviant from truth.

Both truth and its manifestation as silence are actual continuities. Sound is a kind of false continuity. It sounds like a continuity. But it has a beginning and an end, whereas silence was already there before the sound begins, and it will be there after the sound ends. Silence is even there during the sound: sound consists of a rapid sequence of pulses of energy; between each of the pulses of energy is a brief gap that has the characteristics of silence, i.e. the absence of sound. Sound is a kind of continuity of discontinuity. You can clearly see this in a sonographic analysis of sound. And here we can also see how it is that the very ground of language is deviant from sound, seeking to interrupt the continuity of truth by means of a faux continuity, and thus is essentially a sign of falsity.

Given this fundamental ground,  the next logical step would be to mark the vocalic ground continuity by its opposite, that is, to interrupt the continuity, which is done in language by a consonant resulting in such basic infantile linguistic forms as ama, aba, aka, ata, etc. Driven by factors of timing these are often morphed into mama, baba, kaka, tata, etc. From here phonologically the vowel space is further divided into at least three elements naturally occupying the extreme margins of the vocalic space resulting in a vowel inventory of a, i, u. And of course these can be further divided. Consonants are similarly elaborated by the logic of opposition. Roman Jakobson provided the classical explanation of this process of development here:

Jakobson, Roman. 1968.  Child Language Aphasia and Phonological Universals, Janua Linguarum, Series Minor, 72, Moutoun, The Hague.

And I reframed his explanation in the context of Peirce’s theory of signs in “Wild Language” which can be found here: https://umich.academia.edu/CharlesPyle

Charles Pyle