Jon, thank you! A very good example. "There is not a unicorn that is not pink" is true, but "Every unicorn is pink" is not true. This example at last has made me a believer in the relevance of intuitionistic logic.

Best, Helmut

30. Januar 2021 um 20:58 Uhr
 "Jon Alan Schmidt" <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Helmut, Edwina, List:

There are at least three different ways of translating the natural-language sentence, "a human is a featherless biped," into a proposition in formal logic.
  1. Some human is a featherless biped.
  2. Every human is a featherless biped = if something is a human then it is a featherless biped.
  3. Every human is a featherless biped and every featherless biped is a human = something is a human if and only if it is a featherless biped.
#1 is a "singular description," #2 is a general assertion, and #3 is an _expression_ of complete equivalence. #2 is merely a partial definition since it allows for the possibility of featherless bipeds that are not humans, which are presumably distinguished in some other way; it is only falsified by the existence of a human who is not a featherless biped. Of course, the same is true of "there is not a human who is not a featherless biped," which is why this (scribed as nested ovals) is equivalent to #2 (scribed as a scroll) in classical logic.

However, that is not the case in intuitionistic logic--from "if human then featherless biped" we can infer "not both human and not featherless biped," but not the other way around. Why? If there were no actual humans, then the latter would be true but not necessarily the former. For example, it is true that "there is not a unicorn that is not pink" because there are no actual unicorns, but we cannot infer from this that "every unicorn is pink." On the other hand, since by definition "every unicorn has a single horn," it does follow that "there is not a unicorn that does not have a single horn."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian