Gary R, list,

Apparently the list guidelines do not forbid posting an “interpretation” that
flatly contradicts the text it claims to be interpreting.

Nor is there any objection to pointing out the fact that said “interpretation”
does contradict the text it claims to be interpreting.

But when the poster of the “interpretation” objects to anyone pointing out said
fact, on the ground that all interpretations are opinions, and are therefore
all of equal value and incorrigible, and thus any attempt to correct them
constitutes a personal attack, I think that should be the end of the discussion.

The idea that all interpretations are equally valid reminds me of Peirce’s
remark in the second Lowell lecture <https://gnusystems.ca/Lowell2.htm>  (where
he is deriving the concept of negation from the scroll): “Let us invent a sign
which shall assert that everything is true. Nothing could be more illogical
than that statement, inasmuch as it would render logic false as well as
needless.”

The statement (expressed or implied) that all interpretations are of equal
value is similar to the assertion that everything is true, except that it
dispenses altogether with the notion of truth. It has the effect of rendering
all “interpretations” and “opinions” needless; and of course defending an
“interpretation” against disagreement with it is equally needless.

It follows, I think, that once the relevant facts about an “interpretation”
have been posted, any further discussion of the issue is also needless and
unworthy of the list’s attention. That’s why I don’t discuss the issue in this
post, and perhaps why John S. also declines to discuss it.

This is only my opinion, of course, but I take the trouble to express it
because I believe that some opinions do have more truth-value than others
because they are more consistent with the facts of the matter.

Gary f.