Welcome Cathy, and thank you for placing the renewed interest in Peircean
phaneroscopy into its current social context. Also for providing the quotation
from CP 1.286-287, which is an important one for developing the practice of
phaneroscopy. We need to distinguish this practice from that of applying its
categories (of Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness) to other sciences,
including social sciences and normative sciences such as ethics. Phaneroscopy,
in the context of Andre De Tienne’s slideshow at least, is the science (or
science-egg) which generates those “universal” concepts from single-minded
observation of the appearances, or as he put it later, from the phaneron.

I think Andre’s talk assumed some familiarity with Peirce’s writings on the
subject, and his slides will quote some of them, but we’ll probably need to
quote more in order to address the questions raised in Andre’s slides. Here is
one from Peirce's “Adirondack Lectures” of 1905:

[[ Phaneroscopy is the description of the phaneron; and by the phaneron I mean
the collective total of all that is in any way or in any sense present to the
mind, quite regardless of whether it corresponds to any real thing or not. If
you ask present when, and to whose mind, I reply that I leave these questions
unanswered, never having entertained a doubt that those features of the
phaneron that I have found in my mind are present at all times and to all
minds. So far as I have developed this science of phaneroscopy, it is occupied
with the formal elements of the phaneron.]] (CP 1.284)

For those who aren’t familiar with Peirce’s writings on the subject, it might
be best to start with his lectures devoted to phenomenology, such as the second
Harvard Lecture of 1903 (EP2:145), or his “Syllabus” introduction to it
(EP2:267-72).

Gary f.