List

        I think that Cathy's leaving this list, and her critique of it
[Cartesian, Platonic] should not be overlooked.

        Edwina
 On Wed 16/06/21 10:32 AM , g...@gnusystems.ca sent:
        Jon AS, list,

        I’m looking forward to the part of our slow read that delves into
Peirce’s classification of sciences, as I think that will explain
what André means by saying that phaneroscopists are
“pre-truthists.” But you’re right, some of the ideas floated in
the other thread show what happens when people try to fit phaneroscopy
(or the universal categories) into a preconceived framework such as a
semiotic theory. For instance, one result is a confusion of Firstness
with iconicity.

        The pragmatic relationships among phaneroscopy, mathematics, logic
and semeiotic are actually quite complex and sometimes recursive, as
I hope will become clear as we take a closer look at Peirce’s texts
on the subject. For today I’d just like to share a paragraph from
André De Tienne’s 1993 paper on “Peirce’s Definitions of the
Phaneron”:

        [[ Our awareness of a phaneron is always total and puts it into our
“Immediate and Complete possession” (MS 645:3, 1909). The most
important feature is the immediacy, the directness, with which one is
aware of the phaneron. The appearance and the mind are conflated,
which means that there is nothing to mediate between the two: there
is no intervening sign. We are put  facie ad faciem before the very
phaneron itself, Peirce says (MS 645:5). Direct awareness is a
face-to-face encounter, which is the same as saying that that which
appears to a mind is not represented. A seeming is not a
representation, at least not in the first place, and thus a phaneron
never conveys any cognitive information. Direct awareness is
therefore not to be confounded with cognitive intuition, which is a
faculty whose existence Peirce denies. It follows, then, that the
mode of manifestation of a phaneron must be in some essential respect
quite different from that of a sign.] (De Tienne 1993, 282) ]

        The “direct awareness” at the heart of phaneroscopy requires its
observations to be pre-theoretical and pre-logical (and a fortiori,
pre-truth!). But as Peirce said, it takes a ““great effort not to
be influenced” by one’s habitual preconceptions (especially if one
believes that all awareness is semiotic, i.e. mediated). This is
exactly the kind of opinion that one has to set aside in order to
develop a well-grounded conception of semiosis is in the first place.
        Gary f.