From: peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu <peirce-l-requ...@list.iupui.edu> On
Behalf Of Auke van Breemen
Sent: 18-Jun-21 14:38
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] André De Tienne: Slow Read slide 4

Gary F., list,

Nice summary of pheneroscopy.  But that was not the issue. The issue was
whether the dynamical object of the science is reality (an object of which
phaneroscopy professes to deliver its immediate object), as I stated, or not.

best,

Auke

Op 18 juni 2021 om 16:13 schreef g...@gnusystems.ca <mailto:g...@gnusystems.ca>
:

Auke, Gary R, list,

For me at least, “veracity” only applies to stories or propositions that are
publicly verifiable. If I tell you about a dream I had last night, I do so
honestly if what I tell you is what I actually remember; but lacking any
independent observer of the dream (or of my memory), I can’t claim veracity for
what I tell you. I have no doubt that the dream actually occurred and thus was
real in that sense, but I have no way to ascertain how the content of the dream
relates to any reality external to it; and that is the reality which might be
definable as the totality of facts expressible in true propositions. The
phaneron includes much more than that, including dreams, possibilities and so
on.

The focus of phaneroscopy on what appears precludes any judgments about
(metaphysical) reality or (logical) truth. Indeed, the ability to discern the
essential categories or “modes of being” of whatever can appear is what
generates the concept of reality in the first place. Specifically, Peirce says
that “In the idea of reality, Secondness is predominant; for the real is that
which insists upon forcing its way to recognition as something other than the
mind's creation” (CP 1.325, R 717). Logic and metaphysics have to develop their
senses of truth and reality from some method of observing and generalizing that
does not presuppose them, and that is what Peirce called phenomenology or
phaneroscopy.

By the way, I’m using those terms almost interchangeably, because I think
Peirce’s decision to call it “phaneroscopy” in 1904 was strictly a
terminological change (he decided there were too many other established uses of
the term “phenomenology” already). Gary R’s post yesterday suggested that as
phaneroscopy develops beyond Peirce’s version (as he expected it would), it may
develop other “branches” or parts to serve as bridges to other sciences such as
semeiotics. Then the researchers involved will have to make more terminological
decisions about what to call these branches or whether to call them “branches”
of phenomenology or phaneroscopy. In this slow read though, all we’re trying to
do (so far) is to try to develop a clear and distinct idea of what the science
is that Peirce called phenomenology or phaneroscopy.

I hope this helps …

Gary f.