Jack, Gary F., List:

JC: Isn't it a fact, though, that thirdness is the irreducible mode of
consciousness?

I agree with Gary F.'s response. As we discussed a few slides back, Peirce
identifies not just one but three modes of consciousness that align with
his categories, calling them primisense/altersense/medisense in c. 1896 and
qualisense/molition/habit-consciousness (the last is my shorthand) in 1909.

JC: I was wondering whether it is possible to prescind "time" from
"thought"?

As I discuss in my "Temporal Synechism" paper, Peirce seems to have it the
other way around--"logical sequence is a *simpler *concept than temporal
sequence ... and can be prescinded from it accordingly" (
https://rdcu.be/b9xVm, p. 25).

CSP: The idea of time must be employed in arriving at the conception of
logical consecution; but the idea once obtained, the time-element may be
omitted, thus leaving the logical sequence free from time. That done, time
appears as an existential analogue of the logical flow. (CP 1.491, c. 1896)

CSP: For we never think at all without reasoning; and if we try to do so,
the attempt merely results in our reasoning about reasoning. Now reasoning
takes place in Time; and so far as we can understand it, in a Time that
embodies our common-sense notion of Time. (R 300:54[53], 1908)

As embodied minds, our actual thinking always takes place *in *time, but we
can nevertheless prescind reasoning *from *time--"the time-element may be
omitted," because thought is logically possible *without *time. After all,
Peirce states elsewhere, "A disembodied spirit, or pure mind, has its being
out of time" (CP 6.490, 1908).

JC: Also, if we say there is "more to the phaneron than what we call
reality", are we also not moving in the direction of Kant's "thing as such"
or thing in and of itself?

No, because we are not saying that we *cannot *access reality, just that in
phaneroscopy we are not *concerned *with whether what is present to the
mind is reality or figment.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian