Mike, List,

Thanks for providing this quotation, Mike, the 'spirit' of which I am in
full accord. However, it is one with which Peirce himself might have tended
to disagree.

CSP: Any philosophical doctrine that should be completely new could hardly
fail to prove completely false; but the rivulets at the head of the river
of pragmatism are easily traced back to almost any desired antiquity (CP
5.11, EP 2:398-399, 1907). [Thanks to Jon Alan Schmidt for providing this
quotation.]

One could argue, however, that those "rivulets" of scientific thinking,
from even the ancient past, become the "river" of pragmatism (and
semeiotic, and much more) principally as the result of Peirce's genius. So
while Peirce's view -- that even the greatest of scientific work rests on
the shoulders of many thinkers who came before -- is undoubtedly correct
from a certain standpoint, as Weiss also famously wrote, many scholars have
come to consider Peirce to be "the most original and versatile of
American philosophers and America's greatest logician." Weiss, Paul
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Weiss_(philosopher)> (1934). "Peirce,
Charles Sanders". *Dictionary of American Biography*
<http://www.cspeirce.com/menu/library/aboutcsp/weissbio.htm>

So, while the quotation you posted, Mike, might be corrected and developed
from the strictly categorial standpoint, it seems to me to be more an
excess of Weiss' enthusiasm about Peirce and his work than a scholarly
statement about categoriality; and while it may seem a bit glib from the
scientific standpoint, that was not its purpose.

And, *contra *Peirce in the quotation at the top of this message, I might
note that some of Peirce's own associations with 1ns *do* apply to his
work.

CSP: . . . [1ns is] present, immediate, fresh, new, initiative, original,
spontaneous, free, vivid, conscious, and evanescent [I hope not the last!
GR]. Only, remember that every description of it must be false to it  (A
Guess at the Riddle, EP 1:248).

Despite Peirce's words quoted at the top of this message, he *was* indeed *most
certainly* highly original. Peirce's comments, then, while valid from one
point of view (the scientific), from another (the humility of a polymath
who studied and deeply respected the work of many other thinkers) seems
more an expression of humility in consideration of the age-old greater
scientific endeavor.

In a rather superficial way, it reminded me of a comment Brahms made in a
letter to Clara, Robert Schumann's wife, upon completing his Second Piano
Concerto, a massive, four movement, truly monumental work (it is the
longest Romantic concerto in the repertoire) which took him several years
to complete, that  "I have written a very small piano concerto with a very
small and pretty scherzo." Brahms was prone to this sort of understated
'joke' so the analogy is weak.

My principal point, however, is that Weiss' quotation is not "a scholarly
statement about categoriality" (Peirce's life and work would, I have little
doubt, necessarily involve all three Universal Categories) but, rather,
perhaps an overly-enthusiastic expression of his keen awareness of Peirce's
originality, freshness of vision, and the like.

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you
Beauty and terror