Jon, Edwina, List

It becomes a weasel, if people use it for explaining something else, instead of treating it as a yet not fully explained phenomenon. Then it is like the "dormative virtue" of Opium (Peirce). A pseudo-explanation.

Best
Helmut

02. August 2021 um 18:48 Uhr
 "Jon Awbrey" <jawb...@att.net>
wrote:

Edwina,

It is what one calls a "weasel word".
People who invoke "emergence" almost
always say they know what the basics
are ... and then a miracle occurs ...
or some threshold is crossed ... and
then higher order somewhats or other
"emerge" from the lower order stuffs.
In regard to signs, emergence rumors
would have you believe symbols arise
from the primordial muck and ooze of
icons and indices -- there's the rub!
Triadic Relation Irreducibility says
triadic relations are the primordial
stuff -- if not there from the first,
there is no way they can ever emerge.

Cheers,

Jon

On 8/2/2021 12:10 PM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:

> Jon - could you explain? I don't see any reductionism when one uses the term 'emergence'.
>
> You are perhaps associating the term with a mechanical process where a,b,c,d mix up and might produce a large A.
>
> But, using the categorical processes of chemical and cellular modes
> in 1ns and 3ns, you can arrive at a totally novel instantiation, 2ns.
>

> Edwina
> On Mon 02/08/21 12:04 PM , Jon Awbrey jawb...@att.net sent:
> Hi Edwina,
> I find talk of “emergence” is almost invariably a kind of backhanded reductionism.
> Cheers,
> Jon
► PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu .
► PEIRCE-L is owned by THE PEIRCE GROUP; moderated by Gary Richmond; and co-managed by him and Ben Udell.