Edwina, List

Edwina: I am aware that some on this list say that, for example, we can only
'know' or 'read' exactly what Peirce wrote. But this assumes both that the text
'has' or 'carries' a meaning and that there is a direct transfer of the meaning
of the text from Site A to Site B. Such a direct dyadic transmission denies the
process of semiosis. Semiosis is triadic and therefore interpretive; it sees
the text as developing its meaning within a process; of first a Dynamic Object
and then an Immediate Object. Already, some deviation might occur. This
processing of the text within two 'Object sites' by the mediative or analytic
node of the Representamen transforms that Object/Text into several
Interpretants!

I agree completely. Similar to Barthes' argument in Death of the Author in that
there is always a degree to which the reader "writes" the text as he/she reads
it; actively constructs rather than passively receives, and this is due to the
mediatory nature of "meaning". Mathematics seeks to avoid this but not even
mathematics is entirely free of it as different mathematicians can approach the
same problem from drastically different angles (using different varieties of
math and methodologies, even).

Isn't Peirce's point that science/scientific inquiry has a teleological
substance to it so that over time meaning tends to converge? At any rate, the
Bible is sufficient proof that these schisms of interpretation may never be
resolved (the existence of so many denominations which prove that even those of
a mind to rigidly adhere to a "common" text nonetheless produce idiosyncratic
interpretations, and I don't see how it can be otherwise - we may agree on the
majority of what a text means, but it will never be an identical agreement).

Jack