Robert, List:

I do not recall ever *denying *the value of the poset (3→2→1) as a
mathematical hypothesis with application to phaneroscopy, or that there is
indeed a sense in which it is isomorphic to Peirce's universal categories
(3ns→2ns→1ns). In fact, last week I explicitly *acknowledged *that it "is a
a mathematical (i.e., iconic/diagrammatic) *representation *of Peirce's
categories and (especially) their relations," denying only that it is
"properly identified with the categories *themselves*" (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-08/msg00039.html).

Moreover, as discussed on the List last month (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-07/msg00091.html), Francesco
Bellucci similarly proposes that the formal logic of relations/relatives is
what enables Peirce to "establish that the elements of the Phaneron have
valence" (
https://www.academia.edu/11664897/Peirce_on_Phaneroscopical_Analysis, p.
3). I suggested that this is likewise an example of *applied *mathematics,
"using principles adapted from mathematics within phaneroscopy" (
https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2021-07/msg00082.html).

Regards,

Jon S.