Bernard, I wish I could converse about this aspect of language in French, but
unfortunately I don’t have that ability.

BM: But I am wholly astonished by the rigorus property you are attaching to
definitions or descriptions made by Peirce. He was not God the Father. Surely
we have to refer to his rights as first inventor but then, our ideas on what he
called phaneroscopy can / have to be freely expressed and spread.

GF: You are asserting that “what he called phaneroscopy” — the dynamic object
of that sign — is what it is independently of anything Peirce said about it.
Would you also say that about “pragmaticism,” or “synechism”? I find this a
very odd way of using technical terms, especially those invented by an expert
lexicographer like Peirce.

After studying what he called “high philosophy,” and then “phenomenology,” and
finally “phaneroscopy,” including his explicit reasons for the latter name
change, I decided to venture forth on my own practice of that type of
investigation, and it didn’t seem right to call it “phaneroscopy” because that
would claim its exact identity with what Peirce called by that name. So I chose
a different name, “cenoscopy,” citing the Century Dictionary definition of it
(Turning Signs 0: Phenoscopy (gnusystems.ca)
<https://gnusystems.ca/TS/pheno.htm> ). There is in fact no definition of
“phaneroscopy” in either the Century Dictionary or the current Oxford English
Dictionary, which indicates to me that it is indeed a technical term of
philosophy, defined by its inventor, rather than a standard English term. Maybe
in French you treat such terms differently, but in English I think we are bound
to use it, if at all, as a technical term that is not independent of Peirce’s
usage of it. We are of course free to disagree with Peirce’s “ethics of
terminology” on this point, I’m just giving my own reasons for agreeing with it.

I notice you didn’t comment on the “Macbeth” scenario I offered as a possible
example of what Peirce meant in his reference to a “process of thought” by
which the elements of experience “must be picked out of the fragments that
necessary reasonings scatter.” Since you are, as you said, primarily interested
in the practice of phaneroscopy, I’d like to know (in more concrete terms) how
you interpret Peirce’s statement about that.

Gary f.