Jon, yes, that’s pretty much the sociological phenomenon I refer to as
“tribalism.” I might add that in the present case, those who indulge in it
typically interpret criticism of their expressed opinions as criticism of
themselves, and often claim they are defending themselves, their personal
reputations or their specialties against the kind of attacks that they are
themselves perpetrating.

I’m sure you know what I mean because you’ve been the target of many such
attacks in recent years on the list, while your appeals to reason and evidence
have been pointedly ignored. If others want to see examples of the tribalist
“debating” technique, they can look into the archives and read almost any
recent post by Robert Marty. I mention him specifically because he has openly
declared his favored style of ‘scholarly’ discourse to be a “blood sport” and
has acted accordingly, making no attempt to conceal the personal basis of his
animosities (unlike those who spread their slanders offlist). At least he’s
honest enough about it that the evidence is there on the list for anyone who
cares to look.

Gary f.