Jeff, list
        From what I can understand, and I'm NOT a mathematician, but the
distinction between pure and applied mathematics is very fuzzy.

        I'd suspect it's the same in phenomenology. But I do support and
agree with your agenda of using both mathematics and phenomenology to
function within a pragmatic interaction with the world.
        Edwina
 On Sat 28/08/21 11:22 AM , Jeffrey Brian Downard
jeffrey.down...@nau.edu sent:
        Gary F, John S, all, List,
        I meant to restrict the question to Peirce's phenomenology. The aim
was to clarify the business of philosophers who are doing
phenomenology as part of their inquiry in logic, ethics, metaphysics,
or what have you.
        The points you make about the vagueness of our conception of
consciousness and the continuity in the degrees of conscious
awareness with respect to various phenomena are points I accept--both
as an understanding of Peirce's position and as starting points  in my
own inquiries. I'd go further an add another points Peirce makes,
which is that it is probably a mistake to focus too much on the
conception of consciousness in one's philosophical theory of
cognition because the conception is so vague. Rather, we would  do
better to focus on the clearer conception what is and is not under
self-control. One of the points I was trying to make in asking the
question was to put pressure on those who seem to think Peirce's main
aim in developing a phenomenological theory is to  provide a grounding
for a philosophical theory of consciousness.
        As I indicated earlier, I believe the main business of doing
Peircean phenomenology is to provide the resources and techniques
needed to make more exacting analyses  of scientific observations.
Careful phenomenological analysis of the phenomena that have been
observed puts scientists in a better position to develop models, make
measurements, frame hypotheses, etc. Having offered this general
account of the business of  the Peircean phenomenologist, I'd like to
add the central goals of identifying possible sources of observational
error and correcting for those errors.
        In the hopes of clarifying my own understanding of the aims of
Peircean phenomenology, let me borrow a distinction. Mathematicians
make a distinction between inquiry  in pure mathematics and the
application of formal systems to real world problems in applied
mathematics. In a similar vein, I think it might be helpful to make
an analogous distinction between the aims of developing a pure theory
of phenomenology as compared to the business of applying such a theory
to problems in the normative sciences, metaphysics, or the special
sciences--or to our common sense experience and understanding.
        For my part, I'd like to get clearer on how the pure
phenomenological theory is supposed to support and guide the applied
activities--such as the activities of  identifying possible sources
of observational error, correcting for those errors, framing
productive questions, exploring informal diagrammatic representations
of the problems, measuring the phenomena, formulating plausible
hypotheses, and generating formal  mathematical models of the
hypothetical explanations.
        --Jeff
    Jeffrey Downard
 Associate Professor