Gary F, John S, List

It is worth noting that Richard Smyth, who is a respected Peirce scholar, makes
the same point in his monograph Reading Peirce Reading that John S has raised.
In fact, he points out that the distinction between the phenomenological and
nomological phases of inquiry was fairly well established in the sciences of
physics and astronomy, and that Peirce may have been influenced by Herschel's
phenomenological work in astronomy.

For my part, I think the point is important for understanding the business of
the Peircean phenomenologist--especially when it comes to the application of
the "pure" theory of the formal elements in experience to scientific questions
in the normative sciences, metaphysics and the special sciences.

The main difference between the practice of phenomenology in the cenoscopic and
the idioscopic sciences is that the former is focused on the analysis of
observations made as part of our common experience, while the latter is focused
on specialized observations that are often made with tools such as telescopes
and microscopes. As Peirce notes, the fact that we are so familiar with common
experience makes the practice of phenomenology in the cenoscopic sciences
especially difficulty. This is due to the fact that we wear glasses colored by
deeper assumptions, and it can be quite challenging to see the phenomena
afresh--with the eyes of an artist.

In both cases, the practice of phenomenology is done for the sake of making
more exact analyses of observations of reproducible phenomena--which is done
for the sake of identifying and correcting for observational errors,
determining the appropriate form of measurement, framing questions, developing
informal diagrams of the problems, formulating competing hypotheses,
articulating formal models, etc. Figuring out what might gained from the more
exact analyses of the phenomena that have been observed for the sake of these
abductive activities is no small feat.

That, at least, is what I see Peirce doing over and over again in his inquiries
in logic, metaphysics. He often begins by pointing out that other philosophers
have been mislead by an inadequate analysis of the phenomena in question--or
have failed to pay attention to features in our experience that are clearly
relevant to the question at hand.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard