Phenomenology or phaneroscopy is a science.  In their daily lives,
people rarely practice phenomenology.  But people who never heard the
word may occasionally stop to think about what they see, how they see it,
and why they interpreted it as they did.  Those thoughts are the
beginning of phenomenology.  Artists, scientists, and detectives may
dig deeper, but only as far as mecessary for their primary interests.
 In quotation #1 below, Peirce summarizes the three "faculties which we
must endeavor to gather" for the practice of phenomenology:

 a) "The first and foremost is that rare faculty" of the artist:  "the
faculty of seeing what stares one in the face, just as it presents
itself, unreplaced by any interpretation, unsophisticated by any
allowance for this or for that supposed modifying circumstance."
 b) "we must strive to arm ourselves with is a resolute discrimination
which fastens itself like a bulldog upon the particular feature that we
are studying, follows it wherever it may lurk, and detects it beneath
all its disguises."

 c) "The third faculty we shall need is the generalizing power of the
mathematician who produces the abstract formula that comprehends the
very essence of the feature under examination purified from all
admixture of extraneous and irrelevant accompaniments."
 That "abstract formula" produced by the mathematician is the diagram.
In quotation #2, he says "the geometer draws a diagram".  He calls it a
hypostatization:  "Intuition is the regarding of the abstract in a
concrete form, by the realistic hypostatization of relations; that is
the one sole method of valuable thought."

 In quotation #3, he says that artists are better observers than
scientists who limit their attention to "special minutiae".  A detective
who is looking for clues at a crime scene is searching for even more
specialized minutiae.  The differences are the result of their goals:
an esthetic appreciation of patterns in nature, a general law that
governs a certain kind of pattern, or the discovery of a specific
pattern in a specific event.

 A phenomenologist requires talents of all three:  discover specific
patterns in specific events, formulate a hypothesis that explains them,
and relate the "special minutiae" to a broad vision of the whole.  But
all those patterns or "hypostatizations of relations" can be represented
as diagrams, and theyt must be evaluated by the normative sciences.
especially methodeutic.
 .
 John

 -----------------------

 1. what we have to do, as students of phenomenology, is simply to open
our mental eyes and look well at the phenomenon and say what are the
characteristics that are never wanting in it, whether that phenomenon be
something that outward experience forces upon our attention, or whether
it be the wildest of dreams, or whether it be the most abstract and
general of the conclusions of science.  The faculties which we must
endeavor to gather for this work are three.  The first and foremost is
that rare faculty, the faculty of seeing what stares one in the face,
just as it presents itself, unreplaced by any interpretation,
unsophisticated by any allowance for this or for that supposed modifying
circumstance.  This is the faculty of the artist who sees for example
the apparent colors of nature as they appear...  The second faculty we
must strive to arm ourselves with is a resolute discrimination which
fastens itself like a bulldog upon the particular feature that we are
studying, follows it wherever it may lurk, and detects it beneath all
its disguises.  The third faculty we shall need is the generalizing
power of the mathematician who produces the abstract formula that
comprehends the very essence of the feature under examination purified
from all admixture of extraneous and irrelevant accompaniments.
(EP 2:147-148, 1903)

 2. The work of the poet or novelist is not so utterly different from
that of the scientific man.  The artist introduces a fiction; but it is
not an arbitrary one; it exhibits affinities to which the mind accords a
certain approval in pronouncing them beautiful, which if it is not
exactly the same as saying that the synthesis is true, is something of
the same general kind.  The geometer draws a diagram, which if not
exactly a fiction, is at least a creation, and by means of observation
of that diagram he is able to synthesize and show relations between
elements which before seemed to have no necessary connection.  The
realities compel us to put some things into very close relation and
others less so, in a highly complicated, and in the sense itself
unintelligible manner; but it is the genius of the mind, that takes up
all these hints of sense, adds immensely to them, makes them precise,
and shows them in intelligible form in the intuitions of space and time.
Intuition is the regarding of the abstract in a concrete form, by the
realistic hypostatization of relations; that is the one sole method of
valuable thought.  (W 6:187, EP 1:261-262, 1887-88)

 3. And let me tell the scientific men that the artists are much finer
and more accurate observers than they are, except of the special
minutiae that the scientific man is looking for.  I hear you say:  "This
smacks too much of an anthropomorphic conception."  I reply that every
scientific explanation of a natural phenomenon is a hypothesis that
there is something in nature to which the human reason is analogous; and
that it really is so, all the successes of science in its applications
to human convenience are witnesses.  (EP 2:193, 1903)