My point was that the hypothesis of God is a value proposition and
retroduction is a logic of value at its core. Optimism promotes and
pessimism retards the effective development and expression of goals, which
are values in action. I think Peirce probably meant God in a very abstract
traditional sense. However, I think a high level value proposition (like an
overarching ultimate aim that can be consistently pursued) can also direct
this life guiding format. In either case, by their fruits you shall know
them.