Jon AS, list,

Your final paragraph (referring to the particular/material categories)
reinforces a remark I made Wednesday concerning ADT’s slide 48: “Peirce
indicates in a couple of texts that the “material categories” could be picked
out phaneroscopically as well as the “universal categories,” but that he didn’t
have much success at making a list of them, so he chose to focus on the formal
elements of the phaneron instead (CP 1.284).” Here are the texts I had in mind,
both from around 1905:

CSP: [[My three categories are nothing but Hegel's three grades of thinking. I
know very well that there are other categories, those which Hegel calls by that
name. But I never succeeded in satisfying myself with any list of them. We may
classify objects according to their matter; as wooden things, iron things,
silver things, ivory things, etc. But classification according to structure is
generally more important. And it is the same with ideas. Much as I would like
to see Hegel's list of categories reformed, I hold that a classification of the
elements of thought and consciousness according to their formal structure is
more important. ] —CP 8.213 ]

CSP: [[I invite you to consider, not everything in the phaneron, but only its
indecomposable elements, that is, those that are logically indecomposable, or
indecomposable to direct inspection. I wish to make out a classification, or
division, of these indecomposable elements; that is, I want to sort them into
their different kinds according to their real characters. I have some
acquaintance with two different such classifications, both quite true; and
there may be others. Of these two I know of, one is a division according to the
form or structure of the elements, the other according to their matter. The two
most passionately laborious years of my life were exclusively devoted to trying
to ascertain something for certain about the latter; but I abandoned the
attempt as beyond my powers, or, at any rate, unsuited to my genius. I had not
neglected to examine what others had done but could not persuade myself that
they had been more successful than I. Fortunately, however, all taxonomists of
every department have found classifications according to structure to be the
most important. ] CP 1.288, R 295 ]

A similar text appears in Lowell Lecture 3
<https://gnusystems.ca/Lowell3.htm#1525> . The two papers from R.K. Atkins, by
the way, are dated 2012 and 2013, so presumably the “broadening” he proposes
there (which would include the material categories) is incorporated into his
2018 book Charles S. Peirce’s Phenomenology. I’m just getting started on the
two papers though.

Gary f.

} I do not think much of a man who is no wiser today than he was yesterday.
[Lincoln] {

 <https://gnusystems.ca/wp/> https://gnusystems.ca/wp/ }{ living the time