Jack, List:

JRKC: What role does dimensionality have in Peirce's schema?

I can suggest at least a couple of roles that dimensionality plays in
Peirce's thought.

CSP: The evolution of forms begins or, at any rate, has for an early stage
of it, a vague potentiality; and that either is or is followed by a
continuum of forms having a multitude of dimensions too great for the
individual dimensions to be distinct. It must be by a contraction of the
vagueness of that potentiality of everything in general, but of nothing in
particular, that the world of forms comes about. (CP 6.196, 1898)

CSP: Let the clean blackboard be a sort of diagram of the original vague
potentiality, or at any rate of some early stage of its determination. This
is something more than a figure of speech; for after all continuity is
generality. This blackboard is a continuum of two dimensions, while that
which it stands for is a continuum of some indefinite multitude of
dimensions. This blackboard is a continuum of possible points; while that
is a continuum of possible dimensions of quality, or is a continuum of
possible dimensions of a continuum of possible dimensions of quality, or
something of that sort. There are no [actual] points on this blackboard.
There are no [actual] dimensions in that continuum. (CP 6.203, 1898)

CSP: At the same time all this, be it remembered, is not of the order of
the existing universe, but is merely a Platonic world, of which we are,
therefore, to conceive that there are many, both coordinated and
subordinated to one another; until finally out of one of these Platonic
worlds is differentiated the particular actual universe of existence in
which we happen to be. (CP 6.208, 1898)

In cosmology, he thus posits a *continuum *of potential dimensions within
which our "actual universe of existence" with its four dimensions is like
"a figure of lower dimensionality" (CP 4.642, 1908).

CSP: But I ask you to imagine all the true propositions to have been
formulated; and since facts blend into one another, it can only be in a
continuum that we can conceive this to be done. This continuum must clearly
have more dimensions than a surface or even than a solid ...
Nevertheless, in order to represent to our minds the relation between the
universe of possibilities and the universe of actual existent facts, if we
are going to think of the latter as a surface, we must think of the former
as three-dimensional space in which any surface would represent all the
facts that might exist in one existential universe. (CP 4.512&514, 1903)

CSP:  [Existential graphs] are diagrams upon a surface, and indeed must be
regarded as only a projection upon that surface of a sign extended in three
dimensions. Three dimensions are necessary and sufficient for the
expression of all assertions ... (R 654:6-7, 1910 Aug 19)

In logic, he thus diagrams "the universe of actual existent facts" with two
dimensions, as represented in EGs, and situates it within "the universe of
possibilities," which has three dimensions. Moreover, the continuum of "all
the true propositions ... must clearly have more dimensions" than three,
but three "are necessary and sufficient for the expression of all
assertions."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian