Edwina, John, List

ET: First - I don't believe that anyone - whether in the 'pure philosophy'
field or the applied fields can ever say: 'OK, I now sufficiently and
thoroughly understand Peirce's contributions' . Someone, either oneself or some
one else - will have more to say.

I agree with you that no one can say that they "thoroughly" (in the sense
at least of 'completely') understand Peirce's contributions (although I
think researchers can *well* understand certain discrete facets of his
several theories). But I disagree that some researchers cannot
"sufficiently" understand at least aspects of his thought so that, for
example, they are able to apply his thought to real world problems and
projects. Indeed, John Sowa has been doing this for decades with his
development of Conceptual Graphs from (in good part) Peirce's Existential
Graphs. His CGs are being used in R&D groups, and adopted for computer
science, cognitive science, and AI. Once could offer multiple examples by
workers in both the hard and soft sciences, in the humanities, the arts,
etc..

ET: Nor, can one genuinely say that ONLY people engaged in 'pure
philosophy' research are equipped to ever 'sufficiently and thoroughly
understand Peirce'.  I'd say that people engaged in the 'non-philosophical
fields' - whether theoretical or applied sciences, linguistics, AI, biology
etc are capable of sufficient understanding of Peirce to use his theories
and infrastructure to more clearly explain their fields.

Well, you're seemingly contradicting yourself here.* Either* people
involved in philosophical research or "engaged in the 'non-philosophical
fields" can have a sufficient understanding of Peirce for their purposes
*or* they cannot. In your first paragraph above you say they cannot have a
"sufficient" understanding (I'll pass over for now what one might consider
to be a "thorough" understanding as being likely controversial). But in
this paragraph you write that those working in theoretical or applied
sciences "*are* capable of sufficient understanding of Peirce to use his
theories and infrastructure to more clearly explain their fields.." Which
is it?

ET: My understanding of what John wrote was that he was saying that some
people interested in Peirce are focused purely on the texts - and not on
applied analysis. And surely one can't have a problem with that! BUT - are
you saying that the world should not engage in the applied analysis of
Peirce unless and until the 'pure textual research' is done and finished?
[if it ever is, which I doubt].

First, besides there being those who are principally interested in the text *or
*their applications, there are those, like John, who are seemingly
interested in both the texts and what you referred to as "applied
analysis." Perhaps the emphasis for John has been, especially in recent
years, more in the direction of the application of Peirce's theories; but
he has unquestionably shown a keen interest in at least some of the texts
-- clearly apparent in certain exchanges in this very forums as well as
papers he's written and talks he's given -- especially those texts
concerning logic, and most especially to those on EGs. See, for one
example, his running commentary of Peirce's MS 514 on the Arisbe site.
http://www.jfsowa.com/peirce/ms514.htm

ET (continuing): BUT - are you saying that the world should not engage in
the applied analysis of Peirce unless and until the 'pure textual research'
is done and finished? [if it ever is, which I doubt].

It would be foolish for anyone to say anything of the sort: either that the
'pure textual research' would ever be completed, nor that those applying
Peirce's thought would have to wait for anything like that impossible
'completion' to occur. Throughout the history of philosophy and science,
researchers have taken that which had been accomplished by original and
creative thinkers, and at the levels and in the ways in which they
understood it, and applied it. One tests a theory as soon as there's
sufficient understanding of it to devise a test.

ET: Are you saying that a biologist or linguistic or economics researcher,
who is not focused on textual, philosophical analysis, cannot understand
Peirce enough to use his theories in their field? And has to wait until the
'theoretical researcher' has done their work?  I don't see things this way!
Indeed - I'd even bet that the applied researcher might have a clear
understanding of Peirce - just from their own field - because Peirce's work
is pragmatic and operative in the real world.

Again, I am not saying anything at all to suggest "that a biologist or
linguistic or economics researcher, who is not focused on textual,
philosophical analysis, cannot understand Peirce enough to use his theories
in their field." But I do think that our understanding of Peirce's work has
grown since the first part of the 20th century, and that it is in fact
possible to *better* understand such an original and difficult thinker over
time.

As for the possibility that an "applied researcher" in a given field might
have even a clearer understanding of some Peircean concept and its possible
application in her field than others involved in pure theoretical research,
I wouldn't doubt that for a moment, and John's work with CGs (but not only
with CGs) is proof positive of that.

What I *did* say, rather, was that pure and applied work can *mutually
fructify* each other. In my view, the likelihood of Peirce's pioneering
work being much further advanced in the real world would come both from a
better, clearer, deeper understanding of his theories, while the
accomplishments of those thinkers applying those theories in the real world
clarify the pure theory itself -- at least if they respect each other and
are in communication with each other (admittedly, the latter especially is
hard to do).

There may be a division of labor implied here, but not a division of
purpose. In my view, it's not a matter of "one *or* the other" but
something more like "all together one after another" (F. Matthias
Alexander).

Best,

Gary R

“Let everything happen to you