Jon, Bernard, List,

Two other Classification of Sciences from the MS 1345;

*FIRST :*

MS1345_004

Part 3. *Encyclopaedia*

The first year I would propose to point my masterly Syllabus of Science of
which I have given a table of contents.

*Contents of Syllabus of Science.*

Dividing all science into

I. *Mathematics*, the study of ideal constructions.

*II.** Phenomenology, *which observes phenomena and seeks to identify their
forms with those that mathematics has studied.

*III. **Pragmatics, *which studies how we ought to act in the light of
experience.

I consider Mathematics

1. *Geometry* and the mathematics of continua, giving only a few
generalities                                §1

2. *Arithmetic*, or the mathematics of discrete infinite collections. The
special merle of reasoning explained

                                                             §2

3. *The theory of finite groups*. The peculiarity of the reasoning
explained.                                       §3

II. Phenomenology being divided into

1. *Philosophy*, or the universal characters of Phenomena

2. *Nomology*, or the discovery of the characters of classes of phenomena,
and the accounting for them by the general principles of philosophy,

3. *Descriptive and Explanation* Science, or the description of individual
things, and explanation of their characters by the laws discovered by
Nomology.

MS1345_005

*Part 3* continued

    I divide *Pragmatics* into

1*. Ethics*, or the universal principles of conduct

2. *Arts*, the study of general problems not going back to first principles.

3. *Policy,* or the study of special problems.

_________________

      Mathematics requires no subdivision for our proposal.

      I divide *Philosophy *into

A  Logic

 B  Metaphysics

I divide *Nomology *into

A  Psychics

B. Physics

I divide *descriptive Science*, or Episcopy, into

A.  Ergography, the account of the works of intelligent beings

B.  Empsychography, the account of those beings themselves

C. Cosmography, the account of inanimate nature.

MS1345_006

I divide *Ethics* into

A. Private Ethics

B. Public Ethics

I divide *Arts* into

A. Arts practiced by individuals

B. Sociology or public arts.

I divide *Policy* into

A. Policy toward men

B. Religion, or policy toward superior beings

C. Policy toward lower animals

______________________

No further subdivision of Philosophy is requisite.

I divide Psychics into

a. Psychology groper, or mind viewed partly at least from an internal
standpoint

b. Anthropology etc (say Empsychonomy) or mind viewed wholly from an
external Standpoint

                          α in individuals, men; spiritual intelligences,
animals

                          β in families

                          γ in communities of races
_______________________ THE END OF THE FIRST ____________________________

*SECOND *:

MS1345_007

Part 3. *Encyclopaedia*

     Here we must adopt a classification of the sciences, not necessarily
inflict upon the user of the encyclopaedia, but *to guide the compiler.*

      I divide all science into *three* parts, the first much the smallest,
the last much the largest. They are

I. *Mathematics,* the study of *ideal constructions* independently of the
question of their real existence.

II*. Empirics*, or *Phenomenolog*y, the study of *phenomena* with the
purpose of identifying their forms with those which mathematics as studied.

III. Pragmatics, the study of *how we ought to act* in the light of
experience.

        I divide *mathematics* into 1 Geometry, 2 Arithmetic, and 3 The
theory of finite groups.

        I divide Empirics into

1.*Philosophy*, or the study of the universal characters of phenomena.

2.* Nomology*, or the study of those characters of phenomena which though
not universal, belong  to whole classes of phenomena, and the attempt to
account for them by connecting them with the universal laws which
philosophy discovers.

3.*Episcopy*, or the description of individual things, with a view to
explaining them by the laws nomology makes out.

Robert Marty

Honorary Professor ; PhD Mathematics ; PhD Philosophy
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marty
*https://martyrobert.academia.edu/ <https://martyrobert.academia.edu/>*